Help--what to look for in used '04 KDX220?

Got questions? We got answers....
crowned

Post by crowned »

Howdy--I found a decent looking (but dirty, a little dented, and pretty much stock) '04 KDX 220.

Pros:

Quiet / stock pipe
Easily streetable. Comes with street title. and head and tail light
20 miles away.

Cons:

No hand guards,
It has stock handlebars...
I bet is has the original piston in it.

Am I better off buying a pre-modified KDX that already has a Wiseco piston, skidplate, and Gnarly pipe? I found one 500 miles away for $250 more, but I"d have to ship it.

What else should i be looking for?

Thanks!

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That looks pretty good, but I have no idea what the asking price is. I tend to prefer an unmolested (mostly stock) bike, and then do any mods/upgrades myself. I will say, it seems most of our members prefer the 200 over the 220, although both are great bikes. They are very different, so depending on your riding areas and style one may suit you much better than the other.

Please don't think I'm bashing the 220, I'm not in any way. Just curious what has you leaning toward the 220...
crowned

Post by crowned »

Julien D wrote:That looks pretty good, but I have no idea what the asking price is. I tend to prefer an unmolested (mostly stock) bike, and then do any mods/upgrades myself. I will say, it seems most of our members prefer the 200 over the 220, although both are great bikes. They are very different, so depending on your riding areas and style one may suit you much better than the other.

Please don't think I'm bashing the 220, I'm not in any way. Just curious what has you leaning toward the 220...
Thanks for the response Julien!

Well, my dream bike (right this second) is an '04+ KTM 200 EXC that's road legal, but I can't find one at teh moment / dont want to spend $2k+. I missed out on one last year for $1400 that was legal, and was a racebike but just had top and bottom end redone by the best guy out there and was sprung for a 165lb giraffe. D'oh!

Back to the bike at hand...

I negotiated the KDX owner to $1250, and I'm only getting a 220 because I don't know which one to get one way or the other (I'd prefer a 200 so I can be in the same enduro class as the other).

I'm 6'4", 165 lbs, and will be racing east coast enduros on it.

I think I'd prefer a 200 as well, but can't be too picky at this price range.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Understood. That seems like a good price for an 04 220. Not sure if you are aware, but the stock cast piston in the 220 is notorious for skirts breaking. This can cause some real damage, so a forged piston is a must for any 220.

As far as the difference, the bikes are identical as far as frame, wheels, graphics, plastics, etc. The bottom of the engine is also the same. The 220 came fitted with an o-ring chain stock, which is a plus to most people. The 220 has a smaller 33mm carb, as opposed to the 35mm on the 200. This, when combined with the low end porting and larger displacement, makes the 220 an absolute torque monster. It pulls very hard of the bottom, but revs out of the power band very quickly. The 200 would compare more to the KTM 200, with more overrev than the 220, and a bit less grunt down low.

Hope this helps!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Julien D wrote:I tend to prefer an unmolested (mostly stock) bike, and then do any mods/upgrades myself.
I agree. I like starting from a fairly stock bike as well. IMO, once you pay the additional purchase price, plus the shipping cost of a commercial shipper, you could probably pay for the aftermarket upgrades you want.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R