Bearing removal

Got questions? We got answers....
stevei0220

Bearing removal

Post by stevei0220 »

Hi! This is my first post, having lurked around the site for a while now. I have recently bought two bikes, a 1989 KDX200 and what appears to be a KX frame conversion with a 200cc lump inserted. Both require rebuilds, although the KX is currently taxed and MOT'd and road "legal". As you may guess, I am in the UK.

I spent the day stripping down the '89 bike and it was easy to see that the swing arm and suspension link bearings need some attention. Are these bearing relatively simple to "pop" out or is a hydraulic press required - for removal and renewal? Engineering services for this type of thing are pretty limited in my part of the UK and so will have to find somewhere suitable further afield if that is what is needed.

Some really good stuff on here and as for the freedom you have to ride in the USA and Canada...WOW! Wish it was like that here.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Bearing removal

Post by gsa102 »

A hydraulic press is helpful, but you may have success using a C-clamp to push in the new bearings. Getting the old ones out is tougher. Try to drive them out with sockets and a hammer, but you may have to us a die grinder or hacksaw to cut them apart to get them out. Some heat from a propane torch may help, but don't overdo it.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
gregp

Bearing removal

Post by gregp »

IMO - they are not simple to get out, but with the right tools, you can do the job. I usually use a vice, some sockets, and a propane torch. Sometimes you need a 3rd hand, but if you use one socket to push the bearing out, and align a larger socket on the other side, to push the bearing into, you can clamp all 3 items in the vise together, apply some pressure, then heat the aluminum housing until the bearing pushes free.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing removal

Post by scheckaet »

C clamp works fine, take your time before going the hammer route.
Something that works also very well is a threaded long rod with thick washer and 2 nuts. I use the closest socket size to get the bearing in or out. keep it square and turn slowly and you shouldn't damage anything.
david

Bearing removal

Post by david »

One of mine was rusted away so much that I couldn't get a bite on it with a socket to press it out. I drove it out with a chisel without any problem. Just be carefull not to dig into the aluminum of the swing arm.

The hardest part of mine was driving out the swing arm pivot bolt. It was rusted to one of the bearings and required a very long drift inorder to knock it through to the other side.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bearing removal

Post by canyncarvr »

The answer to your question:
Are these bearing relatively simple to "pop" out or is a hydraulic press required - for removal and renewal?
They can be near impossible to get out...hydraulic pressing included.

As a last resort the pivot pin can be cut. That still leaves you with the problem (stickage somewhere), but it's easier to work on if the swingarm is out of the bike.

When you get to the re-assembly part, be sure to put anti-seize on the collar (spacer) and pivot pin. That is likely the issue anyway..the pin is stuck to the collar.

You might try laying the bike on its side (threaded end of pivot pin up) and soaking it with something akin to PB Blaster (penetrating solvent). I've gone that route before..with zero success, but others have had it work.

Good luck with it!

Oh...
Some really good stuff on here and as for the freedom you have to ride in the USA and Canada...WOW! Wish it was like that here.

Don't fret. Folks here are trying as best they can to make US just like 'over there' (and wayyyy to many other places).

There is a REASON this country is inundated with immigrants from most every other place else in the world. Unfortunately, very few people here know or care to remember why that is. Hence, the sentence above is true.

THIS 'fer instance, is illegal these days:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing removal

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

stevei0220 wrote: Are these bearing relatively simple to "pop" out or is a hydraulic press required - for removal and renewal? .

Define relatively simple? :lol:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... garm+pivot
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing removal

Post by SS109 »

Yeah, simple but a PITA! :mrgreen:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Bearing removal

Post by KarlP »

I don't think the OP was asking about the swingarm pivot bolt, just the inner races.

I have found the best way is with a length of threaded rod. I used 5/8" or maybe 3/4" and a variety of sockets and washers.
I broke my vice trying to push them out with sockets and ended up welding a length of threaded rod onto the vice.
Once one of the races just would not budge and I had to use a dremmel to split it and peel it out.

I think the threaded rod method works best for installing new bearings because it tends to keep everything lined up pretty good as you push them in

Piece of cake. :roll:

Welcome back CC!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing removal

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

KarlP wrote:I don't think the OP was asking about the swingarm pivot bolt, just the inner races.
I guess you know a better way of getting to them :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
david

Bearing removal

Post by david »

I started the pivot bolt talk because........it's part of the job. The more he is aware of what may come, the better prepared he will be to get through the task.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing removal

Post by KDXGarage »

If it gets to where you need a hydraulic press, but some sort of spacer between the two arms of the swingarm to support them during pressing.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
stevei0220

Bearing removal

Post by stevei0220 »

I guess I might be in for a bit of fun with this strip down and rebuild! Thanks for your replies. Time to find someone with a press me thinks...
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing removal

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Nothing too it :wink:

Only took me two long fuggin days to break mine loose
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))