Need help with 04 KDX220 jetting, tire sizing and brake mods

Got questions? We got answers....
singie

Post by singie »

Hi,

I was out riding with a coupleof buddies (both on CRFs, one a 250 and the other a 450) in the tillamook forest. We swapped around bikes for a bit and i loved how nimble the CRF felt, yet pulled like a tractor similar to the KDX220. The steering input was spot on.

Jumping back on my bike and doing the same bit of trails to get a feel for the differences and a few stood out starkly.

For one, the front steering is a little too twitchy on mine. The front tire i was told played a big part in it. Am running dunlop 952s all around. I love the rear 952 but the front one is supposedly a dud and having been on it for the last 3 rides i can attest that it doesn't inspire much confidence.

The other thing that stood out was my front brakes, it was alarmingly inadequate when compared to the CRF250. Buddies suggested, swtiching to braided brake lines and new pads + oil. Going downhills my bike felt a lot less confidence inspiring, requiring me to slow down a little too much.

So here are my questions with regard to tire sizing and brakes i was hoping to get osme help /guidance on.

Tires - I am trying to order Michilin S12XCs..but they only come in 90/90-21. I keep reading online that they are the same size as the dunlop 80/100s. This true? Anyone else running these tires on your KDXs? I take it I will have to use a michelin sized tube in this as well.

Brakes- What steel braided brake lines are recommended? I see a bunch of goodridge universal ones being offered, but am lost as to what the sizing needs to be on the lines? Also, what other accessories do i need to order with the brake lines?
In the same vein, what brake pads would you guys suggest i look into purchasing ? I was planning on using the RBF600 fuild for brakes that i use on the street bike when i re did the lines.

Finally, the tougher section..Jetting. I bought used an FMF Gnarly pipe and a pro circuit spark arrest exhaust to replace the stock ones. Is anyone using these or have used these and can recommend me a pilot and main jet size or two to start from ?

Appreciate your time in reading through the post. THanks and happy riding!!
2004 KDX220R W/ Wiesco piston, Procircuit exhuast, FMF Gnarly desert pipe, Protaper bars, airbox mod
2005 Yamaha R6 track bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

For the tires, the 90/90 will be fine. and the tube you have will be fine as well if it is in good shape. If not just get a 21" tube and go with it. I use the M12 on the front of mine and I like the way it bites in and handles.

I am looking into a braided front line as well so let us know what you find and how it works. I would stick with the Kawasaki KDX OEM pads on the front. I have tried a few different pads and the OEM KDX pads seem to work the best for me.

For the jetting. Do a search and read the jetting guide.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I second everything rbates said. Your brake problem could actually be related to your tire problem. Get the new tire on first, ride it, and then decide if you need to mess with the front brake. Address one problem at a time.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
singie

Post by singie »

Thanks guys for the advise.

i ordered a Pirelli MT16 and Maxxis heavy duty tube along with EBC sintered brake pads for a first go along with some speed bleeders.

Going to first change out just the tire as suggested and see if it helps. And then eventually throw on the brake pads. THis way i'll know what differences the tire change throws up.

Also installed the FMF desert pipe and pro circuit exhuast.

With stock jetting the bike kicks over with one stroke, idles strong and runs decent (did a quick spin around the block). Very noticeable improvement through first second and third gears. Might need some light tuning by the looks of it. Can't wait to try it out on the trails and hoping that there is no loss of low end grunt.

And the bike has had the air box mod done to it along with a new wiseco piston install just two rides before.

2004 KDX220R W/ Wiesco piston, Procircuit exhuast, FMF Gnarly desert pipe, Protaper bars, airbox mod
2005 Yamaha R6 track bike
SCREAM

Re: Need help with 04 KDX220 jetting, tire sizing and brake

Post by SCREAM »

I switched to a Galfer braided front brake line when I was doing my rebuild and not only did it improve the feel from spongey to very positive but it also seemed to give a lot better bite on the front rotor with less effort. HTH