tail light kit DS

Got questions? We got answers....
terminatr

tail light kit DS

Post by terminatr »

What is the best looking and fitting tail light kit for dualsporting the KDX? :supz: :wah: :boogie: :kick: :rock: :pop:
2001 KDX220
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

tail light kit DS

Post by Brian »

That depends on what rear fender you have. If you have the Meier motocross style fender, I'd recommend this tail light for that rear fender from Baja Designs. It's the one I'm using for my plated KDX.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetai ... d-Dropdown
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

tail light kit DS

Post by SS109 »

Brian wrote:That depends on what rear fender you have. If you have the Meier motocross style fender, I'd recommend this tail light for that rear fender from Baja Designs. It's the one I'm using for my plated KDX.

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetai ... d-Dropdown
On my now MX fendered E bike I will be using the Tusk clone of the Baja designs tail light. It looks just like it but costs only $30. http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/ ... TAIL+LIGHT

If you have the factory rear fender with light you can connect the additional lead on the bulb socket and use a dual filament bulb. That is basically what I did on my bike until the MX fender switchover and it worked pretty good..
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
terminatr

tail light kit DS

Post by terminatr »

I don't think the BD is DOT legal. Lense is not DOT, and there's no license plate light.

If I use a dual philament bulb with the stock tail light, I still won't have a license plate light, which is
required for street legal here. Any idea on mounting a lone license plate light?
2001 KDX220
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

tail light kit DS

Post by SS109 »

They actually look for a DOT lens where you are at? Here in AZ they don't seem to care as long as everything works.

OK, when using the original taillight, I used two L brackets to mount my plate to the fender. I used two "bolts" that come with LED's in them to illuminate the plate. They looked just like these...

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
terminatr

tail light kit DS

Post by terminatr »

Great! Just what I need.
2001 KDX220
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

tail light kit DS

Post by pumpguy »

Who sells these LED bolts?
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

tail light kit DS

Post by Brian »

The Baja Designs does indeed have a license plate light and brake light. I didn't notice if it had the DOT stamp on it but it is the one that was on the bike when I went through the inspection required to convert it to street legal.

Check out my post "Street Legal Dirtbikes" for more information on what I did for my dual sport conversion.

http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=10544
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch