Silencer Repacking

Got questions? We got answers....
Fieldie
Supporting Member

Silencer Repacking

Post by Fieldie »

G'day All!!!!!
Just wanted to pass on my find today - repacking a std silencer (on back of gnarly woods pipe).
I had tried to pull apart the cover from the end after removing the hex bolts without success.
A friend suggested putting heat on it. I grabbed my wife's scrapbooking heat gun & gave it a zap for three to five minutes each end.
Put it on the tip end first, grabbed the outlet with a pair of pliers & shaed it a couple of times then "voila!" out she came - ("this is waaaaay too easy") before trying the other end (again after 3-5 min of circular mothion with the heat gun - Popped out, looked ordinary & discarded the old packing.
New packing in West Australia was about AUD10 & put back in in les than 2 mins.
It is the easiest thing I have done on the old girl & I can't wait to hear the results! (the old one was very oily & dirty!)
Hope this helps someone! Cheers!!!

[Now Just waiting on my shock coming back from having the shaft rechromed after ripping side out of the seal & needing rebuild - has taken the better part of three weeks so far & still no word of it being ready - have repainted the frame, stand, pegs & rear brake lever, fitted new gear lever, fitted new lens, re-jigged cockpit cables & lines, ordered chinese KLX headlight & repacked the muffler - I really should be thanking those pricks @ Motorcycle Engineering :butthead:! (all done mid season though - so I missed out on at least three rides in the last 6 days!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: ) she is looking schmick though - even for my dodgey standards]
1997 KDX200-H3 Stock Standard except FMF Fatty pipe

...the glass is always half full...
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Silencer Repacking

Post by gsa102 »

Send us some snaps of the old girl when done.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Fieldie
Supporting Member

Silencer Repacking

Post by Fieldie »

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... oad493.jpg
Link to the photobucket site

Ready for track test on Monday!!! (Engineering mob with the shockie has the only trained person to reinstall shaft away on holidays for another three weeks so I scored a 1994 KX250 shock from the wreckers for AUD80 & couriered from Perth for $55 overnight - AUD135 total - soooooo STOKED!!!!)

diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Silencer Repacking

Post by diymirage »

very nice looking bike
at the risk of sounding like a chick, i really like the black handgaurds on it, with the black saddle and fender bag that puts it on just the right ratio of colours
one a side note, is that an aftermarket fender bag? it looks bigger then usual

and what about the kick stand?
mine attaches to the swing arm but yours too the frame?
(be interesting to know the story behind that and if you even have the mounting points on the swingarm)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Fieldie
Supporting Member

Silencer Repacking

Post by Fieldie »

Cheers Champ! I'm trying to keep her clean as the bikes I chase are over 10 years younger. She doesn't do a bad job for an old girl!
I think I got the fender bag off ebay for about AUD50, the old purple one was sunburnt.
I replaced the split purple fork boots when I got her with black ones sent over from USA - still about $30 cheaper than buying them in AUS - we get gouged on parts pricing over her!
I thought about changing the hand gaurds & will one day, simply because they are plastic only, no aluminium. Not sure what colour I will go for.
The KLX style light sits a bit higher on the KDX than what I have seen the stock on KLX's. The light sits right on top of the front guard on those. My focus was to get it all together for dialling in the rear suspension on tomorrow morning - Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm awaiting black gripper material from local shop. That should have been here by now.
The stand has always been mounted there. It comes off the frame behind the left peg. I will try & get a closer pic for you if you.

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Silencer Repacking

Post by fuzzy »

:supz:

That is not a stock H silencer, BTW. It looks like an FMF Q. The stock H silencer has no packing.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Silencer Repacking

Post by scheckaet »

fuzzy wrote::supz:

That is not a stock H silencer, BTW. It looks like an FMF Q. The stock H silencer has no packing.
+ 1
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Silencer Repacking

Post by KDXGarage »

Nah. It's not a Q, just an older model. It looks just like the one on my 1994 model. Mine says ISDE on it. (and FMF)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Fieldie
Supporting Member

Silencer Repacking

Post by Fieldie »

Apologies guys! It is on the back of an FMF pipe so most probably is FMF - again, apologies! :oops:

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Silencer Repacking

Post by fuzzy »

Nothing to apologize about, just making sure you knew your entire exhaust is aftermarket. :drinkers:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project