Greetings from Down Under!

Got questions? We got answers....
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Greetings all, I've just bought a KDX 200 that I'm not entirely sure what to do with :) Its seen better days for sure but it might be salvageable....... First things first, I need to identify the model. It has this on the frame by the steering DX200E-003881 and this on the motor KHI DX200 003 909.

I was told it was a 95 but I dont believe that. If I decide to keep it, it will be a strip down and rebuild.

Any help would be appreciated, Mitch.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome

Post up some pictures and we can probably help with the year range.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks mate but I've stripped it a fair bit already and its missing the front wheel :shock: It does have KIPS and "normal" front forks. Anything in particular that can narrow down the year?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you look at the rear of the frame on the left side a 95+ will have a removable support bar. The coolant overflow tank on a 95+ is behind the right radiator shroud. A 95+ has two mount points on top of the head.

Take a look at some of the other peoples pictures of there bikes and see what looks close to yours.

Or search Google images for what the different years look like. A 95 and up will be the same. 89 to 94 are pretty much the same.

Also it seems that there was some differences between what country the bike was from as far as year differences. There is the SR model too.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks mate, appreciate the help. I'll take a look when it stops pissing down with rain :)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Okay so as far as I can see, its an 89ish. Started stripping it down, pulled the motor first. Bore and piston looks good. Just gotta get a flywheel and clutch basket tool.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Sweet sounds like another e-series! Do a search here and look for kips info and how to check if it's all working correctly. E-series are known to eat kips subvalves but if you use a very good oil it helps tons. Where in Oz are ya?
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Thanks mate, pulled the head off and it looks like one of the kips vales is broken. I'll strip it down further soon and investigate. I'm in Perth mate.