kickstarter engagement issues

Got questions? We got answers....
casola
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by casola »

Hi anyone,

I have a 96 200 that has been having issues engaging the gears that drive the clutch basket from the kickstarter. When I removed everything I found the ratchet gear teeth to be perfect but noticed that the two similar gears that drive the clutch basket to be pretty sloppy on the shafts and thought that any axial play to cause it to jump teeth on the ratchet. Anyone have similar issues? Do I replace the gear or just the bronze bushes inside?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Never had a problem caused by the idler gear, and it's always sloppy.
kyledsmith87

Post by kyledsmith87 »

Best thing would be to check them with a pair of vernier calipers, if the shaft is sloppy, you will get an inconsitent reading along its length, and if the bush is sloppy you will get the same...
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

I could be the spring on the kick ratchet mechanism. If it's weak, it won't hold the halves of the ratchet mechanism together when kicking. It's also possible that the c-clip that holds the spring in place has popped out of its groove.
David Eckel
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I had an issue with the starter ratchet skipping teeth on my 96 200 last fall. At first the clip popped out of its groove. I replaced the clip and washer, but it still skipped.

Then I replaced the ratchet, mating gear, and spring with a used unit off of fleabay, and the problem went away. The idler gear seemed to be in fairly good condition in my bike, though. I did not notice a wobble to it.

I asked about the skipping issue here with few replies, so I think it is not too common to have kicker issues.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250