kdx 200 carb problems

Got questions? We got answers....
woodselec

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by woodselec »

I have a 2002 kdx 200 that i can not get dialed in. I have a fmf desert,boysen 607's,modified air box lid.
Jets are 155 main,42 pilot, air screw @ 1.5 and jd red needle. The bike loads up every where but w/o throttle. From a dead stop bike will not clear out untill 3rd gear and the power comes in so strong it will come out from under you. Ive been through the jetting sticky on here with no results. the only thing i havent done is a w/o throttle chop becouse i have to wait till the hay is cut. I bought this bike in april totally stock it had been setting for over 2 years with the old gas left in. I have cleaned the carb 4 times but am wondering if i may still have some gunk left in there somewhere.
need all the advice i can get!! :blink:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by fuzzy »

Clean air filter and fresh plug I take it?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
woodselec

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by woodselec »

Yes new plug clean air filter and running 40:1 yamalube 2r 94 octane pump gas. my elevation is 3000 ft if this helps. I was thinking about droping my main to 150 but would like to da a plug chop on the 155 first. :blink:
woodselec

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by woodselec »

Here we go again!
Yesterday I was determined to fix this bike so i warmed it up good and started the jetting routine.I adjusted the pilot circuit and got some progress so i then moved the clip to mid position and redone the pilot circuit. bike ran great i could lug around, coast down hills then crack open the throttle and the bike would come to life. So today jump on the bike and it runs like crap again. I thought maybe it will straighten out when it warms up but it didnt. same thing as always 1/4 to 3/4 throttle sucks.I have repeated this process over and over for the past 2 months.
Open for suggestions
K D

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by K D »

I am not familiar with JD needles but at 3000ft elevation 155-42 might be a bit rich, Im running 152-40 at sea level.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

make sure your kips is working

and clean the carb real good, make sure it's not a fuel problem
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
kyledsmith87

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by kyledsmith87 »

Check the stator coil when hot! Half dead mid-throttle was the 1st symptom of mine going. Should read between 300-450ohms
woodselec

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by woodselec »

I will check the kips and stator coil today and post results.
Thanks for the info!!
woodselec

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by woodselec »

Ok i checked the kips and its working just fine. I pulled the fly wheel cover off and it had some gas inside the cover is this normal ?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by rbates9 »

Gas or oil in the flywheel side = you need crank seals and bearings. :sad:
woodselec

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by woodselec »

The amount of gas was not very much (just a couple of drops) is this something that can be put off untill this winter or does it need to be done imediately. I was planning on a R&B head mod this winter anyway.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by rbates9 »

Leaking crank seals will make the bike run unpredictably. If you do put it off than it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep an eye on the leakage. Also it could be sucking more air in than leaking gas out and the transmission side could also be sucking air. You may have just found the cause of not being able to get it dialed in.

Splitting the cases isn't that bad and could be done on a rainy day.
woodselec

kdx 200 carb problems

Post by woodselec »

Well sounds like a good place to start I guess i need to invest in a fly wheel puller.
Thanks for all the advice