whirring/howl from motor and clutch clicking sounds

Got questions? We got answers....
Faint333
Supporting Member

Post by Faint333 »

I took two videos with my phone today of the bike running in my shed, first video is of the "whirring" high pitch sound and the second is of the clutch clicking. Let me know what you guys think. Both are kind of hard to hear because of the bad quality but the sounds are definitely there.

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I failed to hear any whirring

Sounded pretty normal to me :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Faint333
Supporting Member

Post by Faint333 »

Maybe I'm just being paranoid. The kid I bought the KDX from didn't seem to take the best care of his machines... he also had a loveseat bolted into the bed of his pickup truck... and the truck was lifted (like 6"), but only in the rear... I wish I took a picture of that! HAHA
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

The motor "whir" is normal for KDX's.
I just took out an autoclutch & went back to stock this week. My stock clutch makes the same racket as yours. I know how you feel though. I was somewhat concerned about the clutch noise but I guess it's normal.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I think it sounds fine, my clutch also makes that faint rattle when engaged
JoKDX220r
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JoKDX220r »

Do you have some news about that noise ?
I can hear it at the end of both video and my bike started to make it again yesterday.. (last time I had to change crank bearings/seal etc.. )
Did you run your bike alot since you first heard it ?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: whirring/howl from motor and clutch clicking sounds

Post by bufftester »

Sounds pretty normal. Sometimes you can help quiet the sound by making sure the clutch spring cover is properly torqued down and the clutch springs are still within specs. Over time they can shorten and not provide enough push against the cover to keep it from rattling
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

Everything sounds pretty normal to me too. KDX's just make a lot of racket.
Your clutch makes a little more noise than mine does, but it doesn't seem excessive, and it may just be because you are focusing in on it with the microphone.
Unless something feels off I wouldn't worry about it.
Postigo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postigo »

Some owners add a full bottle of atf fluid in the tranny to avoid the noise. Mine does it too but I can live with the rattling sound.
The Doctor says I have multiple personality desorder... But we are not agree...
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

I battle with the same sound myself. I found that the gear the water pump runs off of and the gear on the back of the clutch had a lot of play. I installed a new woodruf key onthat shaft and it made a huge difference. Now about 500 miles later it's back. I suspect the gear
on the crank is beginning to wear (?) rounding the key allowing slop. Its probably not the best answer but since my crank is 12 years old and im buying a new one this winter im going to grind a couple reliefs on the gear an T.I.G. WELD the gear to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly
2 Wheels
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 2 Wheels »

This is kind of interesting. My 1996 KDX is my first dirtbike ever. The first time I've even been around dirtbikes, or two strokes except for weed eaters and chainsaws.
So everything(except the loose chain, I believe Jason explained why it was loose. Jason or Diy) seems normal to me. The clicking and popping, The smoke.
I have no other baseline to compare either performance or mechanical function with. And I'm good with that. I'm impressed by this bike.
Mines almost 20 years old. Beats hell like a banshee as far as I know. It could be all pigged out who knows?...It's fast enough for me.
Doesn't have any problems going up a 30 ft. near vertical hill of soft dirt and sand.
1996 KDX 200
CoronasAndChips
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by CoronasAndChips »

I wish to amend my last post. I WILL not be welding the gear to the crank I found out the hard way what the noise was. My stock con rod bearing finally gave way. Got a new Wiseco Prolite piston, Wiseco crank bearings and seals coming and a Pro-X Con rod. The local two stroke guru who builds Arctic Cat snowmobile race engines and 2 stroke boat racing engines said he'll press the crank for me. He comes highly reccomended from everyone I talked to.
I was going to send it out to have it done but, times are hard and if it costs a little more to keep it local then so be it. Gotta keep the turn on the dollar at home.
Elbow grease contains no trans fat!
CoronasAndChips on XBox Live
BFBC2, BF3, COD 2,3,4, Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Tiger Woods 08' and 09' and Forza 2..... mostly