Oil Leaking

Got questions? We got answers....
ridingvintage

Oil Leaking

Post by ridingvintage »

Alright folks, as I mentioned in my new member post, just pulled the 88 c3 out of storage after >15 years and it cranked right up after doing a few things and ran strong, but now things are starting to happen. There seems to be a pretty heavy oil leak after riding and once it cools it stops. I cant tell for sure where it is coming from although it does appear to be coming from the drain on the bottom of the air cleaner box. I havent got a service manual yet...so I am not sure what it is. Too much oil in the crank case, bad seal,???????????? HELP
sped66
Supporting Member

Oil Leaking

Post by sped66 »

What color is the oil & how heavy is this leakage?
I'd clean up the air box & air filter for starters. Also inspect the interior of the carb boot with a flashlight. Do you see any oil puddled up in there? After everything is cleaned up, ride it for 10 or 15 minutes then have another look in the air box, air filter, carb boot. At least this might help you find out where it's coming from. I'm no expert mechanic but this is how I'd begin.
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
kdx633
Supporting Member

Oil Leaking

Post by kdx633 »

sounds like the reeds are bad and you are getting blowback
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Oil Leaking

Post by KDXGarage »

A buddy of mine had a newer model, and he putt too much oil in the gearbox. It went up the vent tube into the airbox, then leaked out.

Just pull the hose out and see if it is wet.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ridingvintage

Oil Leaking

Post by ridingvintage »

Thx...I will check these tomorrow. Im thinking too much oil in the crankcase but not sure. Bike still runs strong with no issues. Oil looks good, brand new in fact--i did change it recently too which is when it started. Only does it after it has been running so its not a constant leak (like when sitting cold in the garage), so I dont think it is a gasket issue. Ill take a closer look tomorrow when the kiddos arent screaming down my back...lol Thanks for the advice and please keep it coming if anyone else knows of other things to check...