Scotts Steering Damper

Got questions? We got answers....
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotts Steering Damper

Post by B737driver »

I just bought this off of ebay for less than half the cost of a new one. It's off a '99 KX 250, and I'm putting it on my '04 KDX with '01 KX 125 front forks. My thinking is, they are both 46mm forks, should bolt right up with no issues. Anyone got any experience with this setup? I've got 14 days to return it if it doesn't work.
Thx,
Don
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotts Steering Damper

Post by dfeckel »

Two possible areas of concern. The clamp-on tower may not be the right diameter for the KDX steering tube. Also, the length of the pin in the tower might not be long enough--don't the KX fork conversions require a spacer between the top of the steering tube and the top triple clamp?

Worst case scenario, you might need to buy a weld-on tower from Scotts or BRP and then have it welded on your frame.

It looks like a sweet setup. I hope it works!
David Eckel
doctord23
Supporting Member

Scotts Steering Damper

Post by doctord23 »

The two issues you will likely run into are:
1. that the frame clamp with the pin will be two big of diameter. Probably something like 2mm larger diameter.
2. that the pin isn't long enough.

If you remember from when you put your forks on, you had to change the stem because the KX takes a larger bearing. That means the frame is larger at the top bearing.
You also had to add a spacer below the top clamp, hence the pin may be too short.
I had the opposite problem when I took one off of a KX500 (same upper bearing as the KX) and put it on my KX125 framed hybrid.
I had to ream my clamp inside diameter to a larger size to get it to fit.
It might be easier for you because you have to shim the larger diameter down.

Good luck.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotts Steering Damper

Post by B737driver »

I had concerns about the pin length, due to the spacer, but forgot about the difference in diameter. I jumped in a little early because I thought it was a "good deal". Hopefully I can fabricate something to make this work.

You think a bolt on KDX post and pin (tower) would work on this damper? I'm out of town and can't look at my bike. Just thinking out loud. :hmm:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotts Steering Damper

Post by dfeckel »

Well, that's the obvious solution that my drug-addled mind overlooked. Just get a bolt-on tower for a KDX. The only concern there would be if the KX triple positions the damper exactly where a KDX mounted damper would be. Hmmm. You'll just have to put it together and see.
David Eckel
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotts Steering Damper

Post by kawagumby »

The kx damper to triple setup is correct for the kdx - it has to be...the controlling positioner is the center of the steering stem, which does not change with the USD installation (you change stems, but not position). So, the only thing that may need to be changed that you have (to work with the KDX) is the length of the actuating arm, I would think - but I'm thinking that is OK from what I see in the picture.
The real question is the tower height of the KDX mount - but the tower and pin are made to have quite a bit of vertical adjustment. I bet it works.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotts Steering Damper

Post by B737driver »

Thanks for the input. I guess i'll find out in a few days when it shows up. I've ridden a bike recently with this setup, and think it's a worthwhile investment. Definitely less fatiguing. I'll post some pictures and descriptions of my findings.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotts Steering Damper

Post by B737driver »

Well I got it. Here's the status. The pin is too short, but according to the manual you can slide the plastic collar down to adjust the height.

The real issue is the diameter of the clamp. It is definitely too large. Placed where it's supposed to be and tightened all the way down, it still moves freely. Too much for me to feel comfortable shimming.

So, with the KDX clamp and pin I think it will work just fine. $90.00 for the new clamp. My good deal is getting expensive. Sure looks cool sitting up there on the fat bar though. :boogie:

Anybody need a KX clamp for one of those cool hybrids? :wink:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live