Where to go from here???

Got questions? We got answers....
Ked

Where to go from here???

Post by Ked »

Hi guys i just got a 1982 Kdx 175 and i dont even know where to start to make it run.. i know it doesnt have spark so i guess thats the main reason but where do i go from there?? theres a few pictures to help

Thanks! http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m61 ... KDX%20175/
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Where to go from here???

Post by rbates9 »

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Where to go from here???

Post by rbates9 »

First thing to do is look over the entire bike. Front to back, top to bottom. Figure out what else it will need. Get an idea on parts prices and availability. Check the compression and see what you have. take a look in the exhaust port and see what the cylinder looks like, does it need work or is it good.

Once you have an idea of the shape of the rest of the bike then you need to make a decision if it is worth it to you to go further. If it is get a manual and start checking things in the electrical circuit. It might be as simple as a spark plug. It would probably be worth removing the flywheel cover and maybe the flywheel to see what is going on in there.

Good luck, and welcome!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Where to go from here???

Post by SS109 »

rbates9 wrote:First thing to do is look over the entire bike. Front to back, top to bottom. Figure out what else it will need. Get an idea on parts prices and availability. Check the compression and see what you have. take a look in the exhaust port and see what the cylinder looks like, does it need work or is it good.

Once you have an idea of the shape of the rest of the bike then you need to make a decision if it is worth it to you to go further. If it is get a manual and start checking things in the electrical circuit. It might be as simple as a spark plug. It would probably be worth removing the flywheel cover and maybe the flywheel to see what is going on in there.

Good luck, and welcome!
I second this!
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
david

Where to go from here???

Post by david »

If it is a simple fix. You have a very tough, reliable machine. I gave $100 for mine and have ridden the piss out of it. It needs fork seals and rear likage bushings, but I don't care and it is just an old beater. It can sit for six months and fire up on the third kick, cold, every time. I picked up my '90 for $300 and it rides like a dream so I don't ride the 175 any more.

It is a very simple system. You have, a stator, CDI box, coil, spark plug, and wiring. You should be able to pick up all of it on Ebay for cheap, but you do need a manual and do some trouble shooting so you know where the problem is.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Where to go from here???

Post by gsa102 »

Simple stuff first. Try a brand new plug. Look for broken wires or wires rubbed through or pinched. Unhook the kill switch and make sure it only has continuity when you press the button. Get a manual to get the wiring diagram and make sure the wires are connected right. Pull the flywheel (a puller is $20) and make sure the key is not stripped. Use the manual to test the components.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Ked

Where to go from here???

Post by Ked »

Thanks for the input guys its very appreciated! ill start thinkering on it this weekend!
Ked

Where to go from here???

Post by Ked »

the only manual i can find online is one for a kdx 200 is it pretty much the same as one for a 175 ??
david

Where to go from here???

Post by david »

No, the 200 has a exhaust power valve system. You can get them on Ebay.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDX175MMI

Re: Where to go from here???

Post by KDX175MMI »

Do you still have the kdx 175? I may be able to help you out, I just bought my self a 1980 kdx 175 and did a full rebuild. came across same problem and and now it fires up, but if you have gave up on her then i'll buy her :)
killeight

Where to go from here???

Post by killeight »

I also have a 1980 kdx 175 witch is gitting no spark everything else is cherry. if you could give me a hand on the wiring that would be grate. just orderd a new. cdi. an coil cuz. the cdi wosent throwing any power neather wos. the coil. the guy i baught the bike from also jacked the wiring up in a bad way now i half to work out the proper way to wire my bike and to git it fireing. if you could help that would be awsome
killeight

Where to go from here???

Post by killeight »

Also it don't have a kill switch or key or the place to put the key in an turn it lol dose that matyer at all when giting this thing to spark and run ?????
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

what country are you in? In the USA, there was no key, as it is a dirt bike.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
killeight

Where to go from here???

Post by killeight »

I am in the usa .. so no key that's good to know. Ty
killeight

Where to go from here???

Post by killeight »

I'm in rumford maine
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You may want to update your info on your profile to include the country. On some KDX's, there is an off-road only version (which is what all KDX's are in the USA), as well as a version that is street-legal in some countries. Certain KDX's in other countries have a battery, but none in the USA came with a battery.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
killeight

Where to go from here???

Post by killeight »

Good to know ty .. how do i update my profile to include all of that ?
killeight

Where to go from here???

Post by killeight »

So I just got a new coil an cdi box to try and GIT my kdx 175 to spark still nothing idk if I'm wireing it wrong or what dose any one have the specs . Or can give me any hints on what needs to be dun to git this bike to run I'd like to ride it this year but its not looking so good ..my stator magneto is fine as far as I know do believe I need a new harnest tho because the guy I had got it from striped the plug whair it hooks to the magneto wires from the cdi any help would be grate
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Search in the air cooled kdx forum on here. Try posting there to get someone more knowledgeable about your model. Try to google for the wiring diagram for your year and model because it may no longer be copyrighted info and free to distribute. Or, search for and buy a manual. You are really stuck without the diagram.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250