Shifter shaft E series

Got questions? We got answers....
JasonARGY

Shifter shaft E series

Post by JasonARGY »

Hi all,

My shifter is extremely sloppy and it was welded very poorly by PO. I just bought a used shaft off of eBay for 36 bucks thinking I might not be able to find another one if that one is gone. I looked on Motosport .com and they don't have them and there was only 1 on ebay. Bike is a 92 kdx200

What i I cant seem to find at all is the seal. Right now there is a little oil that leaks from there. I figure if im going to open it i should change the seal. Anyone know where i can buy one of these? Also what else do i need to complete this? obviously the gasket for the cover too but any other gaskets? Anything else thats quick that i can change while im in there? I don't want to get too in depth with it as this winter I want to take the whole thing apart and rebuild the whole engine, top and bottom end and anything else that might need changed.

as a side note, anyone know a rough estimate of what it will cost to overhaul the whole engine? I am counting on needing new plating because how old it is and assuming crank needs rebuilt too. I hope it doesnt but wouldnt mind knowing i have a pretty much brand new engine.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Shifter shaft E series

Post by SS109 »

The seal you can get from anyone who carries factory Kawasaki parts. I recommend http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.html (click on the "Easy OEM Parts Lookup w/Shipping Calculator" button) or http://www.rockymountainatv.com/oem-parts/KAWASAKI That is really all you need to do. I can't tell you rebuild costs as I haven't totalled mine up yet. Honestly, I'm scared to! :shock:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Shifter shaft E series

Post by Julien D »

I think my last complete top and bottom ran about $600. I'd have to add it all up, but that's close. That's with me doing most the work. I had to have the cylinder re-plated, and crank rebuilt.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shifter shaft E series

Post by dfeckel »

If you are planning to rebuild the whole thing soon anyway, just get yourself a complete gasket kit with seals (Moose Racing makes them, as well as Athena). Use just the clutch cover gasket and shifter seal right now, ride the rest of the summer and fall, and then use the rest when you rebuild the thing. If you grease the clutch cover gasket before installing, then you will most likely be able to reuse it after the rebuild.
David Eckel
JasonARGY

Shifter shaft E series

Post by JasonARGY »

I can't find the seal for the life of me. Under gear change mechanism, it isnt part 92027 is it? it seams like that holds one of the leavers on the other end of the shaft. And under Crankcase, is it part 92051? Says it is an oil seal but i dont have the bike here to check if that is the correct area of where the shaft goes. Is it also hard to put the new seal in?

I was thinking about buying a whole gasket kit now but i think since it is only 10 dollars for the gasket i might as well replace it again when i take it all apart.

I will be happy if i have to pay 600 to get the whole engine redone. I plan to do as much as i can myself if nothing requires any special expensive tool. I almost want to do it toward the end of summer so I can have time to enjoy the "new" bike before winter. But then im scared something wont go right and I wont have a bike to ride for a while.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Shifter shaft E series

Post by SS109 »

Yes, 92051-005!

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
JasonARGY

Shifter shaft E series

Post by JasonARGY »

Thanks a lot!! Ordered that up and the gasket for the "Release Cover" for a whopping 9.05! shipping was another 9 though... Anyway hopefully that will be in next week and I can get it done the following weekend! It will be nice not having to lift my whole leg to shift up.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Shifter shaft E series

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

My bike bike is a 92 and my plating is just fine so don't assume yours is **** until you at least look at it :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
JasonARGY

Shifter shaft E series

Post by JasonARGY »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:My bike bike is a 92 and my plating is just fine so don't assume yours is **** until you at least look at it :wink:
Well I am really hoping that it is fine but if I expect it to be bad and put money aside to fix it and find out its good it will be like I got a free 200ish to spend on something else! I hope the crank is good too but also expecting it to need a rebuilt. I have been reading about the KIPS and it seems that is what i should really be more concerned about with how many people have had broken ones. As far as I can tell it works for the most part. When I get up in the RPMs the sound of it switches and pulls hard as soon as it does. I rarely ever get on it though, I baby it a lot.

Considering the condition I got the bike, I doubt the inside is too healthy. I got it from a kid who was in his early 20s who had it for 7 years. Now I'm a kid in my early 20s but I have a feeling that maintenance wasn't really a concern for him as much as it has been for me. Both wheel bearings where shot. When I would brake the front wheel moved so much and it would clunk side to side while riding, I was afraid it was gonna fall off or lock up or something. The shifter was very badly welded on the shaft, it broke loose when I tipped the bike over on the opposite side. The filter was pretty filthy but the inside was still clean. Fork seals are so bad they are leaving little pools and coating the brake, surprised they aren't empty yet. The Turbinecore he had on there had something broken inside and it was partially clogged so exhaust was coming out of everywhere it could find a crack. I had like 3 different spots where spooge came out of. Bought a used stocker and fixed all the leaks.

I realize these things are completely irrelevant to what the actual engine looks like inside but I just have my doubts. I guess the first test will be the compression. My friend has a tester I'm going to borrow one of these days.