New with some questions

Got questions? We got answers....
xrdan

New with some questions

Post by xrdan »

Gentlemen-

My son wanted to upgrade from an xr200 to an xr400, but he's not that big yet and those things are heavy and can be a pain to start especially when you drop them. A guy I work with suggested a kdx and I started reading up on them. The bike sounded like what he needed with a very loyal following. To make a long story short we ended up with a 2003 kdx 200 with low hours.

I haven't had a 2 stroke in over 30 years (except the pw50 and pw80 my kids started out on).

Now the questions-

Engine tapping- the guy said they all do this, and I heard another one run that sounded exactly the same. I guess that this isn't a problem and I need to get used to it.

It has an FMF Gnarly pipe, but how do you tell which one? I didn't see a number on it.

It sems to be jetted stock- 160 main, 48 pilot, R1174k needle with the clip in the middle. We put in a 45 pilot but haven't tried it yet- we're waiting for an air filter to come because the rim was starting to tear on the old one.

If I get rid of the airbox lid how is the component on top secured?

Thanks for the help

Dan
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

New with some questions

Post by rbates9 »

Welcome!

The pipe has the part number stamped on the upper / rear mounting tab. At least the two I have do. You can take that number to the FMF web site and see from there.

As far as air box lids, there is many different ways to do it. A lot of people cut out the main part of the lid, some just drill a bunch of holes in it, some toss the whole thing and zip tie the "component" to the frame. If you do a search on here you will get some good ideas.

Mine was cut out and had window screen glued over it from the previous owner. If I were to do it my self I would probably try what wibbens did with the pop in filters. (Do a search).
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

New with some questions

Post by Julien D »

Welcome!

Nice post from RBates to get you started. As for the engine tapping, it's the KIPS valves doing their thing, and nothing to worry about at all. You've made a good choice with the KDX!
xrdan

New with some questions

Post by xrdan »

Thanks for the replies.

The pipe is the desert one, which I guess is fine because it seems to have pretty good bottom end anyway (my last 2 stroke was a 1973 125 MX with no power valve and 0 bottom end). We put in a 45 pilot and took off the airbox lid. The AS is still at 2 1/2 for highest idle so I'll get a 42 pilot. I guess that pulling the airbox lid doesn't lean the pilot circuit because it's getting all the air it can use anyway.

The top end is starting to come in with a little hit to it. It still has the stock 160 main in it, no place here to do a plug chop.

I took my boys and a nephew (on the about to be sold xr200) riding the other day and my son loves the kdx. He couldn't keep up with his brother on an xr600 in the open, but could every where else even with the jacked up jetting.

Best part of all- the kdx has never taken more than one kick to start since we got it.

Dan