1989 KDX 200 Basket Case Project

Got questions? We got answers....
Thrahl

Re: 1989 KDX 200 Basket Case Project

Post by Thrahl »

Julien D wrote:Those cheap RK chains last me about 2 years. I like them fine, and don't mind replacing the chain and sprockets every other year.
Yea I bought another of the same chain because I'm pretty sure this one is defective some how. I'll try calling RK tomorrow but I doubt they will do anything.
Julien D wrote:Bike is looking great. I'm glad you've taken the time to fix her up as nice as you could. This is pretty much the way I built my 89. Money was tight, I did the minimum to get riding, and continued working on it and tweaking it as I could.
I could have just got it running and ran with it but I knew if I did that I would end up never fixing the cosmetics. I'd rather make it look nice all at once and then maybe touch up areas when they get messed up. Probably wont even do that though haha.
Julien D wrote:As far as the jetting, the issue lies in the design. You have a carb with 3 circuits, and an ICS engine with a nearly 10,000 rpm operating range. It is not possible for the fuel to be metered perfectly for 3,000 rpm 1/4 throttle and 3,000 rpm WFO simultaneously. If you get it rich enough to eliminate that bog when you just crack the throttle open from idle speed, it's going to be much to rich to pull cleanly up top. There is always going to be some measure of "rolling on" the throttle with a carbureted two stroke to maximize acceleration. If the bog is very noticeable, then yeah, you probably need to keep tweaking the jetting. You should be able to get it to a point where you wouldn't ever notice it unless you were trying to.
Yea after playing with it more today, it pulls great rolling up to WFO, and even snapping it open from 1/2 throttle or so. Just bogs snapping from 1/4 to full.
I also noticed that if I pull the choke, it will snap hard like that, but won't really rev out properly.

I just need to stop screwing with it and do the plug chop. I know a little about jetting but I am not near familiar enough with this bike to be judging jetting off of just feel.

PS: I really need to get this thing finished so I stop testing it in the back yard. It's addictive and there are going to be berms soon if I don't cut it out :lol:
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

Ok it's been a while since I have updated because I have been super busy with work and school.
I got the last few things I needed in the mail last week and now the bike is officially FINISHED!! :supz:
I'll post pics first then talk after. I was impatient and took it on its first ride before taking final pics so it is a little dirty.

So there it is in all its faux MX glory. Runs great, took it on its first ride last weekend, will talk about that in a minute.

For anyone who may be interested in doing these MX style cosmetic upgrades to their E series, I will give you a little run down of what you need.
First off is the rear fender. This one makes the biggest difference in looks. Mine is from a 99-02 KX125, though I think the KX250 is the same.
It just requires a little cutting, mainly removing the "fins" on the top and cutting room to clear the frame and pipe.
The main frame mounts line up perfectly, but if you want to use any other mounts you will need brackets. I just stuck with the two frame mounts because it is super secure how it is. :cool:
Also ignore the super long bolts. It's all I could find around. They will be changed eventually.

The front number plate is from an '01 KX125, though any 99-02 125/250 should work.
It is pretty much a direct bolt up. The main front hole lines right up. The bottom tabs are supposed to bolt on from underneath the triple tree, about the fender but on the KDX sit on top of the TT. Zip ties hold it securely and you can't see them unless you look for them. No cutting or modding required at all.

The side number plates are from an '01 KX500, though '89-04 should work. They bolt right up, nothing to it.

The decals are custom from eBay. The seller advertises that they can do custom colors so I asked for them to be black rather than blue to match the frame and seat.
Here is the link if you are interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160768964248?ss ... 1439.l2649
$26 for custom shroud graphics, custom swingarm graphics, and a couple small Kawi stickers. Seems like an awesome deal to me.
The quality looks and feels OEM, I am very satisfied.

I was going to list off all of the things I upgraded/replaced but that would take way too long. Just look at my first post and those pics to see what I mean.
All in all, I have a total of about $1300 in the bike which isn't too bad for a one-of-a-kind, freshly rebuilt by me, hopefully reliable 200cc 2-stroke. :rock:

As I mentioned in this already extremely long post, I took the bike on its first ride last weekend. It ran good, no issues to report. We took it to a field by my house which people used to occasionally ride. It used to be all loose dirt and soft sand on the paths and brush off them.
Nobody has ridden there for a while though so the paths are completely overgrown and what used to be a hard-packed straight away is now a series of mud pits with brush everywhere. :lol:
So ofcourse the bike got filthy.

With all that mud and my already worn out rear tire traction was very low, I was spinning the wheel everywhere. Even then it could bring me from putting along to scary fast in the blink of an eye. :shock:

The bike had no issues at all while there but when we got it home and hosed it off it was running like **** and not wanting to start. Pulled the plug and it was fouled so popped a new one in and it screams again.
I am running a B9ES but will be switching to a B8ES since everyone says they gives a more complete burn and foul less. My jetting still needs to be tinkered with as well.

Anyways, that is the end to this extremely long-winded update and the end to this project (well not really, its a dirt bike, the project never truly ends).
I just wanted to thank all of you guys for helping me out with everything. Big thanks to SS109 for the parts provided, JulienD for your infinite KDX wisdom and patience with my onslaught of questions, and everyone else who helped me out with info and ideas when I needed them.
This is a great forum and I will be sticking around. :mrgreen:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Awesome!
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Looks great. Hope mine turns out 1/2 as nice as yours.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Those bolts are gonna cut the sh!t out of your tire if you don't shorten them...
'00 KDX 220R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Slick_Nick wrote:Those bolts are gonna cut the sh!t out of your tire if you don't shorten them...
Good catch.
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

Slick_Nick wrote:Those bolts are gonna cut the sh!t out of your tire if you don't shorten them...
I thought about that but then I thought that would be way too much suspension travel.
Then again, that is how the previous owner got those marks under the rear fender :lol:
I'll take care of it before the next time I ride.
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Thrahl wrote:
The decals are custom from eBay. The seller advertises that they can do custom colors so I asked for them to be black rather than blue to match the frame and seat.
Here is the link if you are interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160768964248?ss ... 1439.l2649
$26 for custom shroud graphics, custom swingarm graphics, and a couple small Kawi stickers. Seems like an awesome deal to me.
The quality looks and feels OEM, I am very satisfied.
I'm interested by decals like OEM but color custom... the link don't work, do you know the name of the store please ? :)
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Now that you've done the hard bit, protect your investment...put some fork boots on those babies, they will thank you for it.
Thrahl

Post by Thrahl »

Sorry I didn't notice that this thread got bumped. I just looked and it appears that the seller I bought the shroud graphics from doesn't have anything listed anymore.
Here is their page if you want to contact them and see if they make one up for you. http://www.ebay.com/usr/microlosilosi
Now that you've done the hard bit, protect your investment...put some fork boots on those babies, they will thank you for it.
Those forks are long gone :mrgreen:
I swapped a USD RM125 front end over a while back. Here's a link to that build thread, it turned in to kind of a pain but they work great. http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=14362
Here's what she looks like now after quite a few upgrades.
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

Very nice! Well done! :supz:
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Thrahl wrote:Sorry I didn't notice that this thread got bumped. I just looked and it appears that the seller I bought the shroud graphics from doesn't have anything listed anymore.
Here is their page if you want to contact them and see if they make one up for you. http://www.ebay.com/usr/microlosilosi
I contacted the seller, but without success, anyway thank you! :)
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

frenche200 wrote:
Thrahl wrote:Sorry I didn't notice that this thread got bumped. I just looked and it appears that the seller I bought the shroud graphics from doesn't have anything listed anymore.
I contacted the seller, but without success, anyway thank you! :)
Frenche if you do ebay, they will do custom colors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/kdx-200-unitrak ... 1343457287