KDX 200 rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
ridingvintage

KDX 200 rebuild

Post by ridingvintage »

What up KDX folks.....I am new member from North Carolina and wanted to say Hi. I am in desperate need of some fellow KDX lovers advice. Not sure where to post so I will start here. I have what I consider to be an absolute immaculate 1988 KDX 200 which I have owned since it was new. It was actualy winterized and stored for nearly 17 years. I recently broke it out, put in a plug, added gas, oil and a new air cleaner and it fired up on the second kick. Holy crap, how I have missed this bike. It runs great considering how long it has been stored (indoors). Here goes the big question....I want to rebuild the top end and anything that it may need. Problem is I dont know what all that would be. There are a ton of parts out there on some great websites and even ebay. What do I need guys......(i mean everything that needs to be done it make it run like it was 1988 again? Thanks for all your help and I look forward to hearing what you experts say! FYI, already got tires--its a start (LOL)! Would post a pic but cant figure out how.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX 200 rebuild

Post by SS109 »

First things first. Get yourself a service manual! I cannot stress this enough. Everything you need for basic maintenance you need will be in it and it will save tons of frustration, wasted time, and money!

Next, I would probably start by replacing only what actually needs it. Things I can think of that probably need some serious attention are:
Tires and tubes - since you have already taken care of this part, move on!
Have the forks and shock serviced - Old, hard seals won't last long even if they are OK at the moment. Fix it now before you have an oily mess!
Lube all chassis bearings - swing arm, linkage, steering stem, shock, rear brake linkage, etc.
Completely flush and bleed the front brake

Doing those will get you a safe bike to ride. On the engine, if it runs good then there isn't much you really have to do. Keep the trans fluid fresh, service your power valve (K.I.P.S.) regularly, use quality 2T oil, and repack your silencer when needed and you should be good to go. If your worried about needing to do a top end I would first do a compression check to see where it is at and go from there. We all will help in any way we can.

Good luck and please post up some pics! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
ridingvintage

KDX 200 rebuild

Post by ridingvintage »

Just figured out how to get a pic up here so here she is folks....man, how I missed her. Forgot how fun the old two stroke was. I snaped this pic from my phone after pulling it out of storage, putting in oil, plug, gas and air filter. Couldnt believe how well it ran after all these years. I am ready to get it back to full potential though....thanks to all for your thoughts and please keep the advise coming......

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KDX 200 rebuild

Post by KarlP »

That is the motor for a hybrid.

They are hard to find in running condition, though.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy