Electrex coils... or just stator coils in general...

Got questions? We got answers....
kyledsmith87

Post by kyledsmith87 »

So my stator coil failed last year, I bought a new one from electrex, it has just failed, I happened to have a spare Kawi one in a spare engine I bought off eBay... turns out that one is knackered as well... why in hell does the KDX eat stator coils? And is there anywhere I can get one that might actually last a little while?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Lighting coil or source coil? The only time I fried a lighting coil was from having a VR hooked up backwards. Cooked it in no time at all. I have never had a problem with the source coil. You can get upgraded lighting coils from steahlyoffroad.com, or have a look at nicks DIY re-winding thread.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Are you overloading your electrical system?
It's pretty rare to see a coil fail on the KDX.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I think yours is the only failure of stator I have heard of on an E bike. Like already said, it's not common. Something is obviously wrong.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If it was that electrex lighting coil that failed on you, that is not unusual. Failure of the OEM is very rare, but those "upgraded" electrex units are reportedly prone to failure. That's supposedly why Electrex stopped producing them.
kyledsmith87

Post by kyledsmith87 »

I mean ignition coil, not lighting coil, I have SR which has 2 coils for lighting :)
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

kyledsmith87 wrote:I mean ignition coil, not lighting coil, I have SR which has 2 coils for lighting :)
You're talking about the "source" coil stator, right? I'm pretty sure you are just making sure. Ignition coils connect to the spark plug where as source coils power the the CDI and ignition coil. Still, neither one is known for going bad on KDX's.

Anyways, you can always take yours in or send it someone that does stator rewinding. Some will give a warranty on their work and it shouldn't cost that much. I would try someone like http://www.rickystator.com/ or http://www.rmstator.com/ to see what they can do for you.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
gregp

Post by gregp »

The source coil on my 2004 "H" series went bad, and I replaced it with a new one from Rickystator. The bike has never run so good! I suspect that my coil was going bad for over a year, and I changed *everything* before finding it. It started with a small top end miss, and graduated to difficult starting, plug fouling, etc.. I could not believe how well the motor ran after I installed the new one.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)