Fork spring help

Got questions? We got answers....
JasonARGY

Fork spring help

Post by JasonARGY »

Hi all. I am getting my fork seals done and I want to get some springs at the same time.
Will any springs work that are 43mm? I found some that are 510mm length, .36 spring rate and 43mm. They are WP KTM springs supposedly. Does anyone know about these and if they will work? I am on a tight budget and trying to find the cheapest I can. i looked all over TT for some XR springs but had no luck. Ebay is no help either. I also know that the stock springs are a bit shorter and longer springs can be made to work with cutting the spacer. I am planning on having this done at a shop since I have no tools and no place to work, any chance they will give me trouble about it not being stock replacement or does it depend on the shop?

Would really appreciate any help I can get
Thanks in advance.

Edit: forgot to add that i am 183ish naked, Probably close to 190+ with some gear on. Looking at KDXposed, I figure .36 is close enough to the .35 they recommend.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Fork spring help

Post by KDXGarage »

Which model KDX forks are you talking about??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JasonARGY

Fork spring help

Post by JasonARGY »

Oh wow sorry I forgot to mention that. It's a 92 with conventional fork
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fork spring help

Post by Julien D »

.35 is still going to be soft..38 might be a better choice? I think Fredetts suggestions are on the soft side, while race techs will be on the stiff side. Something in the middle would probably work best for most riders. If you want to go with a .35, you could use stock H series springs. I'm not at all sure if the springs you are looking at will fit.
JasonARGY

Fork spring help

Post by JasonARGY »

Well I like soft as I am an easy going rider and like to go slow. I wouldnt mind getting.38 though, I just want to find something cheap and get these seals done as they are leaving little pools in my friends garage. The shop I am taking the bike to said he has progressive springs in his KDX and they are about $100. I dont know if I want progressive springs and I also definitely dont want to spend 100 on springs.

Will these work then? http://www.ebay.com/itm/kawasaki-04-kdx ... 500wt_1180
says they are off an 04 and will fit 95-04.
david

Fork spring help

Post by david »

Yes, those will work.
'81 KDX 175
'90 KDX 200
'07 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT (totaled 4/25/15)
'82 Honda GL500 (sold)
'96 ZXi 1100 JetSki
'98 STX 1100 JetSki
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Fork spring help

Post by KDXGarage »

Why pay $50 for the wrong springs??

Get the correct ones. .38 or .40 is what you need. Get what you need.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
JasonARGY

Fork spring help

Post by JasonARGY »

Well I'm hoping this deal goes through and I get a KX500 swap. My only issue is i just bought a nice new tire and wheel bearing for the front and now i have to get rid of it. And the tire on the swap is one of those street legal knobbies and I dont know what condition the wheel bearing is in. Either way I don't mind those things since they are minor and the kx forks have new seals and bushings. If the deal doesnt go through then I'll probably get .38 springs and get the seals done.

Ive already put quite a bit of money in the bike fixing all the bearings since i bought it 2 months ago and I still need a rear tire and the shock will probably need service soon too. I have absolutely no idea what the engine looks like on the inside. Outside it has a few spots where a little oil leaks but I think taking it apart, cleaning it and putting all new gaskets should fix that. I just hope the bottom end is still solid but I have my doubts. I really do like the bike and don't mind fixing it up but I just don't know if the fixing will ever end and I'll just keep dumping money into it.