Speedo

Got questions? We got answers....
eroknroll

Speedo

Post by eroknroll »

Has anyone on here hooked up a cheep bicycle speedo to their kdx?
Frysk

Speedo

Post by Frysk »

Not on my KDX but I'm planning to.
I did it on my Honda MTX a few years ago.. didn't had a speedo drive so why not a bicycle speedo ?
worked just fine but after 2 monts of abuse it passed away.. but he what can you expect for 5 bucks?
tommyd
Supporting Member

Speedo

Post by tommyd »

eroknroll wrote:Has anyone on here hooked up a cheep bicycle speedo to their kdx?
It has been done on many motorcycles, a couple Jeeps that I know of and a VW powered trike. I had one on a mountain bike that survived weather and abuse for years on several bikes. It was a little more than $5 though:)
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Speedo

Post by cragwl »

As a former hard core MTB'er, steer clear of the cheep'os. There life is short and even shorter with abuse. I have a bin full of casualties.
Good idea though, I'm turning my KDX into a street legal machine and you have come up with an inexpensive temporary solution for me.
Happy Trails
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Speedo

Post by Brian »

Get one from Trail Tech (http://www.trailtech.net/). They have several models and most of them can be self powered.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Speedo

Post by SS109 »

If your going to spend the cash on one of the better MTB speedos you might as well buy a TrailTech IMO.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
eroknroll

Speedo

Post by eroknroll »

I picked up a bell one for 12 bones, got it installed last night, works great, and the price was right. The trail tech ones are nice for sure, I just wanted to see how cheap I could get it done. I was tempted to spend 20 and spring for one that is wireless, ie, no hassle extending the cable.
terminatr

Speedo

Post by terminatr »

I had a Walmart one on a street bike. I was ok. Sampling rate was really slow. Only good for cruising speed reading. But it does seem to work accurrately. Before I sold the bike along with the speedo, it lasted two years under Texas sun and rain. I was really surprised by its durability under extreme condition.
2001 KDX220