Chain maintainance question.

Got questions? We got answers....
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

Hi Gang,

I wash my bike after every ride. I then hit the chain with WD40, and once that dries, I put lube on.

That said, my chain is a bit stiff in spots. What is the best remedy? Should I remove the chain, and soak it? If so, what should I soak it in?

Thank you,

David
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

If it's getting stiff in a few sections it's probably time to replace it. I think that means water has gone past the O-rings and started causing rust in some of the chain links. I do remember many years ago reading an article about soaking your O-ring chain in kerosene (basically WD 40) to clean it and loosen it up but I've never done it.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Fatherof2
Supporting Member

Post by Fatherof2 »

It is an O-ring chain, and is fairly new.

It has hardley stretched at all.

It loosens up quite a bit when I ride. (The stiffness in the links that is...........not the length.)

Soak it in lube or oil?

Thoughts?
For God and Country......Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo!!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I washed my bike last year. I might do it again next year........

Seriously, a soak in used motor oil might be better than kerosene. Hang it up and let it drip for a couple of days.

The whole topic of chain maintenance, 0-ring no o-ring, to lube or not to lube usually generates a lot of discussion.

I used to be all up tight about cleaning and lubing chains and sprockets. The last few years I just put a new set on, set tension once and run 'em. I can't tell the difference in wear life.

A lot of the difference in approaches probably come from the territory people ride in. Constantly wet and muddy areas might require a different approach than dry and sandy ones.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have a newer o ring chain and tried all the different lubes and finally just decided that WD-40 or equivalent is just as good and doesn't build up like many of the pricey lubes do.

As far as soaking the chain I would avoid it. A o ring chain should have grease inside the links and if you soak it the grease will get thin and come out. I tried soaking my last chain due to stiff links and it quickly went to crap in just a few rides.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

quickest way I've found to destroy a ring chain is to use wd40 on it
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:quickest way I've found to destroy a ring chain is to use wd40 on it

Why is that?
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

IMHO and many others on the web, it gets past the rings and washes away the lube

I'm getting twice the life out of my ring chains since I stopped using wd40
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
sped66
Supporting Member

Post by sped66 »

What do you use now Wibs?
In the stable: '00 KDX220R, '02 XR250R
Gone but not forgotten: '80 XR80, '87 XR200R, '94 KDX250, '01 YZ426F, '86 XR220R
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Tri-Flow or that Dupont Teflon

I soak it real good and then put bike up on my lift and start bike in gear just like you are not supposed to :naughty:

And use a grunge brush on the chain to get the big **** off while continuing spraying lube ever so often. I'm on my 3rd grunge brush BTW :wink:

After that I shut motor off and spin wheel by hand and use a rag on the chain, still have all my fingers but I'm not saying I've never been bitten :wink:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Recently soaked my O-Ring chain, which I thought was toast, in motor oil for a couple of days. I just put it in a gallon zip lock bag with motor oil and let it soak it up. After that I hooked it to a close hanger and hung it from a tree for a couple of days. I then put it back on (a little messy until it flung the motor oil off) and now it's good as new.

I've heard wd-40 will eat up the o-rings and attract dust, sand, etc. That was enough to steer me clear of wd as a chain lube. I now use the for mentioned method along with chain wax and have had good results. :boogie:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Chain wax :shock:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

I'll second the DuPont Teflon as a chain lube works great and does'nt pick up dirt.The trouble with wd on an o- ring is that wd contains solvents that destroy the o rings.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I'm thinking that since an O-ring chain has lube in it and since it is made to be lubed on the outside every so often, the O-rings are probably oil and fuel resistant...just say'n.

My wife's KDX doesn't get ridden very often and the chain is getting very stiff in places. I think I'm gonna try the "soak it in motor oil for a couple days" approach.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:quickest way I've found to destroy a ring chain is to use wd40 on it
I agree! Personally, on O-ring chains I clean the big gunk off and then spray it down with a little Rem-Oil and that's it. Seems to work good for me.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kyledsmith87

Post by kyledsmith87 »

Don't pressure wash with o-ring chains either, you will just force water past the seals. WD-40 will make the seals swell and eventually deteriorate. If you really want to look after the chain just take it off and leave it in a bath of used gearbox oil or something.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

so how many of you actually use O ring chains?

im looking to get a new chain for my KDX soon because of how far it is stretched and i dont know if i can justify the O ring over the X ring chain or not
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

I bought the Primary drive OEM sprockets and chain some time ago. The chain has stretched more than i think it should have, it will be out of adjustment soon, and need to take out a link, or buy a new chain. I do ride quite a bit, but this chain didn't last very long, IMO...It is an o-ring chain.
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

In all my experiences, you get what you pay for. The Primary Drive was $100 for chain and sprockets. :shock:

I will be getting a DID chain and some Renthal sprockets next time.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

diymirage wrote:so how many of you actually use O ring chains?

im looking to get a new chain for my KDX soon because of how far it is stretched and i dont know if i can justify the O ring over the X ring chain or not
I usually run non o-ring on the kdx, easier to take care of and they don't turn into a kinky mess
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))