Chain maintainance question.

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:
diymirage wrote:so how many of you actually use O ring chains?

im looking to get a new chain for my KDX soon because of how far it is stretched and i dont know if i can justify the O ring over the X ring chain or not
I usually run non o-ring on the kdx, easier to take care of and they don't turn into a kinky mess and last a third as long.
Fixed that for you.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

mine last every bit as long as a ring chain

for a half to a third of the price :boogie:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Mr. Wibbens wrote:

im looking to get a new chain for my KDX soon because of how far it is stretched and i dont know if i can justify the O ring over the X ring chain or not
I usually run non o-ring on the kdx, easier to take care of and they don't turn into a kinky mess
Plus you can still use them when they're rusty!
'00 KDX 220R
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

And, if you let it stretch out far enough, you can pull a link out and start over. :lie:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

B737driver wrote:And, if you let it stretch out far enough, you can pull a link out and start over. :lie:
thats where im at...the adjustment was at 7 when i bought the bike
im at 10 now and plenty of slack :whistle:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Slick_Nick wrote:
Mr. Wibbens wrote:

I usually run non o-ring on the kdx, easier to take care of and they don't turn into a kinky mess
Plus you can still use them when they're rusty!

you'd be the one to know :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

There is a reason that "ring" chains cost more. Because they are worth it. They last longer, and require less adjustments. They are not just a high end fad. People that say that they don't last any longer than a non ring chain probably spent about $20 on the last ring chain they bought and bitched because it was junk.

They do take a little more power to turn but I couldn't see wasting my money on a non ring chain on anything I was going to keep.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I've run top of the line DID and RK ring chains and top of the line non o ring chains plus a few cheaper chains

I'm not impressed with them and all chains I've run require adjustments

If you want to waste your money on an o ring chain more power to you

saves me more money for important things :drinkers:
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
gregp

Post by gregp »

For many years I have used only RK O-Ring chains and Sunstar steel sprockets. Then Rocky Mountain ATV started selling the lower priced Primary Drive components, and I decided to give them a try. On the web, you can find both positive and negative feedback on these chains and sprockets, and my older brother had tried one of their O-Ring chains with the holes in the side plates (to let the mud out) on his DRZ400. He told me that it stretched quite a bit, and that he would not buy that type again, but that he would try their standard version instead. I decided to buy a set of Primary Drive steel sprockets (13/51), and a Primary Drive "Gold" O-Ring chain, just to bling my bike out a little bit. The cost was significantly less than what I had been used to. This set has been on my bike for over a year now, and they have been trouble free, and comparable to the RK/Sunstar combination I had used in the past. The only "complaint" I have, is that the "Gold" color is kind of dull compared to other "Gold" chains I have seen.
I am also one of those guys who sprays and wipes his chain down with WD-40 (or Kroil, or whatever happens to be handy) after every ride, - and I have never had an O-Ring fall off, before the chain itself was wasted. I believe that the habitual, consistent application of *anything* is much more important than the choice of product.
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)