sandblast/powder coating

Got questions? We got answers....
Faint333
Supporting Member

sandblast/powder coating

Post by Faint333 »

I got a quote for sandblasting and powder coating my kx frame and subframe. The guy says he has a silver metallic powder and I'm not picky so I'd go with that.. but the guy wants $275. He also said if the frame is powder coated and takes more time to clean to expect it to be $325, and if I wanted a different powder it would be another $80 added.

Does this sound way overpriced? I thought I read that people were getting their frames blasted and coated for $150-$200. :doh:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

sandblast/powder coating

Post by SS109 »

Sounds way high to me. Especially the $80 for another color BS. :roll:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Faint333
Supporting Member

sandblast/powder coating

Post by Faint333 »

Aggravating because it is only this and a kips problem (that i'll fix this week) keeping me from riding my hybrid with fresh rb mods! :sad:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

sandblast/powder coating

Post by SS109 »

Here is a company that comes highly recommended by some guys I know: http://www.absolutepowdercoating.com/pr ... cycle.html You can see that they charge $100 or $150 for a frame and offer tons of color options. Just read the notes under the list. Considering they are only in MA, it might not cost that much to ship a bare frame to them or maybe take the time to drive it up there.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
SCREAM

sandblast/powder coating

Post by SCREAM »

I paid $240 for my frame to be sandblasted and powder coated flat black but that included the swing arm, kickstand, foot pegs, chain guide frame, chain adjuster cams, and suspension linkage pull arms. Then I went and got the frame Line-X'd for $75. Your guy sounds way high.
Frysk

sandblast/powder coating

Post by Frysk »

Indeed way overpriced..

I live in Holland and everything here is expensive but I payed for powerdcoating my frame, cylinderhead, pegs, frame bar, handle bar and left peg holder €125,- incl sandblasting and thats about $160,-

So I would recognsider.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

sandblast/powder coating

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, that seems way high. We had a yz250 frame powder coated a couple years ago. I think it was $125? We blasted it before dropping it off, though.
Faint333
Supporting Member

sandblast/powder coating

Post by Faint333 »

I talked with the guy and got it reduced to $250 but no choice on color (it's a silver should be good enough but we'll see soon enough haha). I don't mind all that much because he's local, just as long as he does a good job!
Cha Ching

sandblast/powder coating

Post by Cha Ching »

If everyone agrees his price is too high, you may want to think twice about using his services. There is a reason his price is high...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

sandblast/powder coating

Post by Julien D »

While $250 for strip and powdercoat is not a deal by any stretch, I don't think it's too out of line with the standard. Some of us just got lucky. I was shocked at how cheap we got the yz frame done, after what I'd read online regarding pricing.