kdx 200 jetting ?

Got questions? We got answers....
woodselec

kdx 200 jetting ?

Post by woodselec »

I have been trying to dial in my 2002 kdx 200. This is my first kdx and i am looking for advice.
I live in western N.C. at 3000 ft elevation. my mods are fmf desert,boysen 607's,modified air box lid and JD jetting kit.I currently have 155 main / 45 pilot / red JD needle in mid clip position and air screw 2 turns out. I think i am close with this set up. first question is when i start bike cold rpms go high for about 8-15 seconds after it warms up it does not do this. is this normal ?
Second question is when ridding down hill and then getting back in the throttle i get a sputter like its loading up and then power comes in real abrupt. I think this could be in my needle ?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

kdx 200 jetting ?

Post by Julien D »

Western NC at 3,000 feet? Must be close to me. :partyman:

Your current jetting is definitely a good start. High idle at startup is normal, as long as it relaxes when it's warmed up you have nothing to worry about there. From what you describe on the downhills, it's loading up a bit, and then needing to clear out when you get back on the throttle. Also not unusual. If you keep the clutch pulled on the downhills and blip the throttle now and again, it will help with this. For reference, mine is jetted 150/42 with a much richer needle than stock, so overall, probably pretty close to yours. I am not familiar with what the red JD needle does to the fuel curve, so I couldn't be sure. It would not hurt to spend a couple hours following the steps in the jetting guide here: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1156
woodselec

kdx 200 jetting ?

Post by woodselec »

could be close I am in south western ashe county

Thanks for the info I have gone through the jetting guide i found here once and is the best guide ive found. I have a 42 pilot that i have not tried yet i will try it this week. I tried the JD needle in one notch leaner than the mid position and the bike ran like a scalded dog but would ocassionally get a lean bog at 3/4 throttle in a turn. so i backed that off a notch maybe my float level is a touch low.
woodselec

kdx 200 jetting ?

Post by woodselec »

Ok I have installed my 42 pilot and warmed the bike up and started to set the air screw as described in the forum. Then i noticed the air screw was wet with fuel like its seeping out around the air screw. I checked for air leaks with carb cleaner and there was no increase in rpm's. could this be causing some of my problems.