weighed my KDX today

Got questions? We got answers....
tommyd
Supporting Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by tommyd »

For years I've heard different weights thrown around for the KDX 200. From 205 to 275. Today I brought it to my friends work who has a calibrated industrial scale. The bike... 1995 KDX200-FMF pipe, stock silencer, Clarke tank(2/3 full, probably close to stock full),aftermarket fender(no tail light or toolbag), frame guards, skid plate. WEIGHT=249 lbs! 2000 Honda XRL(similarly equipped)=333 lbs.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

weighed my KDX today

Post by rbates9 »

There was a post awhile back about this as far as weight savings when doing a highbred.

I weighed my KDX 200 with KX forks and an empty gas tank to get a result of 236 Lbs. (If I remember correctly)

If you could, weigh your bike with an empty tank. the other comparisons were with drained tanks. Reserve and all empty.
tommyd
Supporting Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by tommyd »

rbates9 wrote:There was a post awhile back about this as far as weight savings when doing a highbred.

I weighed my KDX 200 with KX forks and an empty gas tank to get a result of 236 Lbs. (If I remember correctly)

If you could, weigh your bike with an empty tank. the other comparisons were with drained tanks. Reserve and all empty.
I can do that! Maybe I will just drain the gas in it and weigh it seperately.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

weighed my KDX today

Post by Brian »

Gasoline weighs 6 lbs per gallon. Just say'n.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
tommyd
Supporting Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by tommyd »

Brian wrote:Gasoline weighs 6 lbs per gallon. Just say'n.
249-236=13lbs. The scale was fluctuating between 149-150 so call it 13 1/2lbs. That would be a little over 2 gallons. Pretty dang close!
Frysk

weighed my KDX today

Post by Frysk »

When I weighed my KDX (1991 with '91 KX500 forks, DG pipe) it weighed 98kg and thats 217lbs (with a quarter gallon left in the tank)

so that would mean that a E series would be lighter than a H series ? :neutral: that was the last thing I've would expect.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by bcdonyo »

Frysk wrote:When I weighed my KDX (1991 with '91 KX500 forks, DG pipe) it weighed 98kg and thats 217lbs (with a quarter gallon left in the tank)

so that would mean that a E series would be lighter than a H series ? :neutral: that was the last thing I've would expect.
"Despite gaining five pounds the new bike doesn't feel any heavier at 238 pounds wet with no gas" - 1995 KDX200-H1 test, Dirt Rider, Nov. 1994.
Frysk

weighed my KDX today

Post by Frysk »

bcdonyo wrote:
Frysk wrote:When I weighed my KDX (1991 with '91 KX500 forks, DG pipe) it weighed 98kg and thats 217lbs (with a quarter gallon left in the tank)

"Despite gaining five pounds the new bike doesn't feel any heavier at 238 pounds wet with no gas" - 1995 KDX200-H1 test, Dirt Rider, Nov. 1994.
You wouldn't say a H series would be heavier because a E series looks bigger an bulkier :p

Does a H series ride better than a E series ? never seen a H series in real life so I wonder :whistle:
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by kawagumby »

The H series behemoth stock steel muffler is probably most of the weight gain, the E series stocker is smaller and aluminum. The H series perimeter frame may also be a bit heavier - but well worth it for the precise handling (once you put some decent forks on it). I finally opted for the aluminum after-market mufflers on my H models when my 2 ton shop hoist broke while trying to fit up the stock muffler causing the muffler to fall and crack the concrete floor. There was so much steel in that muffler that I got $200 just for the salvage weight. yep.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: weighed my KDX today

Post by Julien D »

The H seems to handle a little better, and certainly feels more "modern". The E is incredibly comfy, and I do enjoy its power delivery a bit more. It just seems to have more guts overall. Of course, my E is well tuned and slightly nodded while the H I ride is bone stock. Both are awesome bikes. I'd love to have my own H, and hopefully will before too long, but I wouldn't trade my E bike for one.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by kawagumby »

Hey, Julian

Not to change the subject, but can you get Billmelater (a paypal company extensively used now) added to the paypal means of payment? Lots of places use it, for example,when I buy on Ebay and click paypal the billmelater option pops up -

That way guys like me who don't want to use a credit card can send this site some money!

Tom
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

weighed my KDX today

Post by Julien D »

If my account supports it, I will certainly add it. I will check into it. :wink:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: weighed my KDX today

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Julien D wrote:The H seems to handle a little better, and certainly feels more "modern". The E is incredibly comfy, and I do enjoy its power delivery a bit more. It just seems to have more guts overall. Of course, my E is well tuned and slightly nodded while the H I ride is bone stock. Both are awesome bikes. I'd love to have my own H, and hopefully will before too long, but I wouldn't trade my E bike for one.
Even modded an E has more on the bottom
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

weighed my KDX today

Post by Julien D »

kawagumby wrote:Hey, Julian

Not to change the subject, but can you get Billmelater (a paypal company extensively used now) added to the paypal means of payment? Lots of places use it, for example,when I buy on Ebay and click paypal the billmelater option pops up -

That way guys like me who don't want to use a credit card can send this site some money!

Tom
I can't do bill me later. While they claim to be a paypal company, it's not a paypal service. KDXRIDER would have to be registered with them as a merchant. Check or money order works, if that's better. The donation section is now unlocked for questions like this, and this information has been added. :wink:
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by dfeckel »

I did some weighing with my bathroom scale. (by the way, it was a bitch getting all the bikes up into the bathroom)

All weights were measured with empty tanks

1987 KDX 200 (vintage EE hand guards, Answer aluminum silencer with Cobra Sparky) 217.8 lbs

1993 KDX 200 mongrel edition (missing light internals, side stand, odometer assembly, bracket and cable and with a 19-inch rear wheel) 224.8 lbs

2003 KX 125 E series hybrid (IMS tank, Scotts damper, Works Connection glide plate, Moose rear disc guard, Devol rad guards, Moose hand guards with shields, Pro Moto Billet side stand, CF frame guards, 18" wheel, PC pipe and silencer, Acerbis DHH head light, LED tail light with reinforced VT license plate) 229.2 lbs

2008 Husqvarna CR 125 (lights, reinforced VT plate, rad guards, hand guards, Scotts damper, IMS tank) 223.0 lbs
David Eckel
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by kawagumby »

"I can't do bill me later. While they claim to be a paypal company, it's not a paypal service. KDXRIDER would have to be registered with them as a merchant. Check or money order works, if that's better. The donation section is now unlocked for questions like this, and this information has been added."

Good deal....thanks!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

weighed my KDX today

Post by kawagumby »

dfeckel wrote:I did some weighing with my bathroom scale. (by the way, it was a bitch getting all the bikes up into the bathroom)

All weights were measured with empty tanks

1987 KDX 200 (vintage EE hand guards, Answer aluminum silencer with Cobra Sparky) 217.8 lbs

1993 KDX 200 mongrel edition (missing light internals, side stand, odometer assembly, bracket and cable and with a 19-inch rear wheel) 224.8 lbs

2003 KX 125 E series hybrid (IMS tank, Scotts damper, Works Connection glide plate, Moose rear disc guard, Devol rad guards, Moose hand guards with shields, Pro Moto Billet side stand, CF frame guards, 18" wheel, PC pipe and silencer, Acerbis DHH head light, LED tail light with reinforced VT license plate) 229.2 lbs

2008 Husqvarna CR 125 (lights, reinforced VT plate, rad guards, hand guards, Scotts damper, IMS tank) 223.0 lbs

Just goes to show that all these bikes are well within what I consider to be a "good weight" range. I guess I'm trying to say that thumpers suck for the kind of riding where you have to pick up the bike now and then LOL...

I notice too that the hybrid really isn't much lighter...kind of reinforces my take that IF you can get the KDX chassis to handle the way you want it to (mine do) the front end fork swap is every bit as good a mod as the full hybrid route. (The trick is to get triples with the handlebar mounts further forward - makes the bike handle trails like a slot car racer.)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

weighed my KDX today

Post by KDXGarage »

Thank you for posting the weights. That is interesting.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

weighed my KDX today

Post by rbates9 »

:hmm:

I was wondering what difference can be found in just different tires. So, I used the bathroom scale and weighed my mounted Michelin trials tire with a Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tube for a reading of 30 Lbs. Then I weighed my mounted Maxis knobby with a standard heavy duty tube and tire slime to get a reading of 25 Lbs.

I was surprised to see a five pound difference in just two different tires. :shock:
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

weighed my KDX today

Post by SS109 »

Yep, tires can make a huge difference. Just think, Maxxis tires are known for being very heavy for a given size! :shock:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R