How To: KLX450R Headlight H7 Conversion

Got questions? We got answers....
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Yes mine looks like that. I'll see if I can come up with something. I'm thinking of making a cover for the whole assembly.
'00 KDX 220R
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Had a look at mine, I may look into making an aluminum plate that affixes to those two screws and will block out the residual light. Then again, maybe not. While I did notice it, I dont remember it bothering me too much.
'00 KDX 220R
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Agreed. The amount of time I spend riding at night, it's probably not worth the effort. However, the covers that are on the OEM KLX assembly might work and they are cheap.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

OK I'm the worst when it comes to electrical... I bought the same lighting unit but want to use it stock with the KDX light switch. How can I splice these together. The wires on the unit are: green, blue, brown, and white. My assumptions, green=ground, brown is for the parking light, white would go to the KDX yellow wire and blue to the red KDX wire.

Does this sound correct?
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I cut the cannon plug off and spliced the wires with the existing kdx wiring. Can't remember which color went where and I'm out of town and can't look. I ran the park and normal light to the hot wire and I'm fairly certain the green wire to the kdx ground. I think slick cut the wire at the park light and just spliced in the normal light.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

That is correct. Don't waste Your time on that stupid useless parking light. Just splice the two "hot" wires into the KDX stock wire, and the Ground wire to the other. This will allow both filaments to run at once. It's an AC electrical system So it doesn't matter which wire you use from the KDX as hot.
'00 KDX 220R
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Where can I get the stock connectors that come with the KDX. When I do mods, I never compromise the existing parts so I don't want to cut the wires to install new connectors. I would rather just create a new pigtail. Any help would be appreciated.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
gregp

Post by gregp »

The thumpertalk link does not work - do you have another?

Edit: Nevermind. I found it here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/859440 ... nd-how-to/
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
gregp

Post by gregp »

I am ready to rewind my stator, but I am only finding 16 gauge or 18 gauge wire - no 17 gauge.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#motor-winding-wire/=hrgvv8

Where did you get 17 gauge wire, and would 16 or 18 work as well? I am also seeing spool lengths of 250-300 feet, yet you say that "several football fields" worth come off of the stock coil. Is 300 feet enough?
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The stock wire is very thin, hence why there is so much of it. Thicker wire yields more amperage at a given RPM, but less voltage than thinner wire. The inverse is true. 16-18 seems to be the sweet spot where you get the est of both worlds.
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I bought my wire off of Ebay. Here is the guy I used. http://myworld.ebay.com/tech-fixx/ He has about any gauge you could want, good prices, and fast shipping.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

Where did you get the rubber straps to hold the headlight on?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

N8Strine wrote:Where did you get the rubber straps to hold the headlight on?
They come with it.
'00 KDX 220R
N8Strine

Post by N8Strine »

Oh, I have a factory KLX headlight. Who makes yours?
Fieldie
Supporting Member

Post by Fieldie »

Varmint wrote:OK I'm the worst when it comes to electrical... I bought the same lighting unit but want to use it stock with the KDX light switch. How can I splice these together. The wires on the unit are: green, blue, brown, and white. My assumptions, green=ground, brown is for the parking light, white would go to the KDX yellow wire and blue to the red KDX wire.

Does this sound correct?
Mine arrived today from Aliexpress - White - AUD29 delivered in just on two weeks. Schmick looking unit & can't complain about the quality or the price. I may not do the HID transplant as I ride during daylight hours & only ever putt home if I have left the home straight too late.

Mine was maybe more aesthetic reasoning as I've been riding with guys who have 10 year younger bikes for the last two years & the old girl does a pretty good job keeping up with them all. I thought I would give her a bit of a birthday! (spot the old boy on a budget!) I may do the HID at a later date when we look to take it to the next level.

Wiring - Agreed - bugger that park light off! My KDX ground appears to be black with yellow stripe, so have put that onto the Chinese green wire, by splicing the wire with connector that I trimmed off the KDX unit. The male/female connector for this wire is back to front compare to the other two wires/connectors on the bike. ie on the bike the ground has a female plug while the other two wires have males...
I spliced the white wire on the chinese unit to the red/yellow wire on the KDX & the blue wire on the chinese unit to the red/black wire on the KDX. I will start her up tomorrow - 2040 hrs here - & can swap the "blue" & "white" connected wires around to check which is hooked up to low & high beam. Feedback on aliexpress says the seal is crap so I too will look to put silicon around the inside & set her in place to keep moisture out...

For $29, I might even buy a green one as a spare... ...or maybe black... ...or...
1997 KDX200-H3 Stock Standard except FMF Fatty pipe

...the glass is always half full...
shaunkdx

Re: How To: KLX450R Headlight H7 Conversion

Post by shaunkdx »

Hey guys,
Just wondering if anybody has fitted this light to a kdx with stock forks - Is there enough adjustment in the rubber straps to allow for a tight fit?
Cheers,
Shaun
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

The straps will work on the stock forks.
'00 KDX 220R
shaunkdx

Post by shaunkdx »

Thanks Nick
deltap
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by deltap »

:lol:
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

I am new to this HID stuff. I saw a guy over on thumper talk doing this exact same thing. The difference is that he was double-stick taping a ballast to the inside of his headlight shroud.I have a klx look-a-like headlight coming in the mail. It has a HID bulb already installed. Do I need to get a ballast? Nick, did you use a ballast? I hope I don't need to get one. Does the bulb type determine wether I need a ballast. I am planing to do a stator rewind this week so hopefully I'll get similar watts as when You did it. Does the massive amount of watts eliminate the need for a ballast? Thanks.

Here is the headlight I ordered, except mine should be white.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEADLIGHT-HEAD- ... e0&vxp=mtr