what's the worst behavior you've seen on the trail?

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

And yet with just about every post there is an a$$hole four wheeler operator, But it's the dirt bikes that have the bad rap...... :roll:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

This was a baby, not a 3-4 year old. It couldn't have been a year old yet. She was attempting to climb a fairly big hill when I saw her. WTF?
And yet with just about every post there is an a$$hole four wheeler operator, But it's the dirt bikes that have the bad rap......
Yeah, well, as everybody knows quads are almost risk free to operate....dirt bikes are Dangerous.

I recently had that tired discussion with the mother of one of my sons buddies. My boy is on a bike and she had just gotten her son a utility quad.

Back on topic guys, nothing to see here.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

ride polaris 700 utilities in the woods
I don't care how much experience you have you will eventually hit terrain and/or conditions where this machine will cause massive destruction to make its way through. The largest, and one of the few public riding areas in MD was just shut down due to terrain destruction....not from bikes. I would support any legislature mandating all gov't/public ORV areas go bike-only.

Some good stories in here...LOL.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

Takes only one dirt bag to wreck it for the thousands who are responsible. We joined a local club that lobby's on our behalf. North West Motorcycle Association. (NMA) In hopes our voice can be heard over the fools who want to wreck it all. Sorry for getting off target, but if we have no voice we will someday have no trails. IMO
In dog beers, I've only had one.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

I think quads that weigh over 400lbs shouldn't be on the trail, anything above that should be considered a UTV or even better JWH, Jeep-With-Handlebars. I personally don't understand why people opt for these tanks over lets say a blaster, trx250r, banshee, trx250x/300ex/400ex, warrior, etc. I'm even going on a leg here and saying that trikes were safer than these 4x4 behemoths.
808hondacrguy

Post by 808hondacrguy »

Last summer, we were cruising down the trail and came across a 6 year old boy, in full riding gear walking down the trail, crying. I put him on my bike and rode to his quad, which was upside down off the side of the trail, and he couldn't pick it up. He said his family was faster than him and he hadn't seen them for a while and didn't know what to do. I rode ahead, while my son waited with the boy, and found Dad,Mom, and two brothers about a mile ahead, at the top of a hill, having a picnic, "waiting" for the boy. Dad got irritated when I explained what was going on, and called his son a "big *****", then got angry because he had to stop eating to go back and get his son. He said that I should have just started the quad and followed the boy to where the rest of the family was, and the more he thought of it , the more pissed off he got that I didn't do that. Turns out dad had a hard time climbing the hill and did not want to do it again, but he wasn't worried about a 6 year old doing it on his own, who they had not seen for an hour. Some people shouldn.t be allowed to have kids. :foul:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

808hondacrguy wrote: Some people shouldn.t be allowed to have kids. :foul:

For sure!
Thack

Post by Thack »

"Dad got irritated when I explained what was going on, and called his son a "big *****", then got angry because he had to stop eating to go back and get his son. He said that I should have just started the quad and followed the boy to where the rest of the family was, and the more he thought of it , the more pissed off he got that I didn't do that. Turns out dad had a hard time climbing the hill and did not want to do it again, but he wasn't worried about a 6 year old doing it on his own, who they had not seen for an hour."
Wow. Father of the year for sure.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

808hondacrguy wrote:Last summer, we were cruising down the trail and came across a 6 year old boy, in full riding gear walking down the trail, crying. I put him on my bike and rode to his quad, which was upside down off the side of the trail, and he couldn't pick it up. He said his family was faster than him and he hadn't seen them for a while and didn't know what to do. I rode ahead, while my son waited with the boy, and found Dad,Mom, and two brothers about a mile ahead, at the top of a hill, having a picnic, "waiting" for the boy. Dad got irritated when I explained what was going on, and called his son a "big *****", then got angry because he had to stop eating to go back and get his son. He said that I should have just started the quad and followed the boy to where the rest of the family was, and the more he thought of it , the more pissed off he got that I didn't do that. Turns out dad had a hard time climbing the hill and did not want to do it again, but he wasn't worried about a 6 year old doing it on his own, who they had not seen for an hour. Some people shouldn.t be allowed to have kids. :foul:

Oh. My. God. What the heck is wrong with people? At least they put him in riding gear.
David Eckel
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

I was riding my mountain bike on a steep, twisty downhill. I came around the tightest blind corner on the whole trail and some moron had his bike flipped upside down and was fixing a flat right in the middle of the trail. There were places to get off the trail but for some reason he didn't. I T-boned him and got tangled up with his bike and I was a bloody mess. He got knocked off a 3 foot embankment into a wash. I got up and moved our bikes since I was with 3 other guys and knew they were coming any second. My friends asked what happened and we realized he never got up. I guess he got knocked out and was just coming to. They tried to help him up and he was fine until he unweighted his left leg. Then he just dropped in agonizing pain and went into shock. He broke his hip. We rode to the truck, called the paramedics, waited an hour for them and helped carry him over a mile of single track after they took an hour to get him ready.
gregp

Post by gregp »

I hate to see the anti-ATV sentiment. We own 2 4x4's and my wife, daughter, and I enjoy trial riding with them. It is just a different mind set that is required when trail riding with them - it isn't all about speed anymore. I have been teaching my wife and daughter about trail etiquette, and it takes some time and experience for people to learn. That said, poor behavior is not confined to any one group.
I have seen litterer's, and that really upsets me, but probably the worst thing for off road riding in general, is the trend to extremely loud mufflers. I just do not see the need at all, and often it seems to be a case of "my machine is louder than yours!", as if this is a good thing.
The other thing that really harms off road riding is - staying in one confined area. This seems to be most common with younger kids, but I have encountered it among young adults. Not only does this activity draw attention to the area, it also tears up the spot incredibly badly, generates a consistent noise level that is usually not tolerated very long by homeowners within ear shot, and generally will get that area (and often a much larger area) shut down. We have lost several local area's solely due to this behavior. :cry:
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
cragwl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by cragwl »

There was a line up of quads and bikes waiting for a quad to be winched out of a gully. After 20 or so minutes, we were riding again. Only now we were in some kind of moto trail parde . Frustrated by the pace with no option of passing we pulled off the trail for some grub.
The gully rider was up ahead with a bent tie rod and no tools or riding buddies to help. They left the guy there to die I guess.
We spent 30 or/so minutes fixing his quad. We asked to let us ahead before he started out and he agreed. He left before us anyways. Took him 10 minutes before he pulled off the side to let us by. We were both beeping our horns every few seconds.
Waited, with out complaining, fixed his quad without complaining, but still was rude too. I would rather be the guy who saves the day and not appreciated that some selfish, unprepaired dork. My friends would help me or stay until we all died together.
In dog beers, I've only had one.
rsr02
Supporting Member

Post by rsr02 »

Maybe there was a reason his "friends" left him.

The only local place to ride is so rutted up by the heavy quads that some trails are almost unridable.
1997 220, KLX forks-pipe-reeds-trials tire