power when kips valve opens? how much?

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

just to be sure: once the rod is in place (with the governor in the groove where it belongs) and the pin installed there should be almost no play up/down for the shaft.

You may have it properly installed now, it's been awhile now and can't recall the plastic bit and spring exactly but i think you're right.
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

Nevermind I checked the governor it also only goes in one way. That also happens to be the set up that causes the lever to pop out of the governor slot. Maybe the pin on the governor lever is worn? Or the governor shaft is bent?
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

Yeah I definitely need to get the pin ordered.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

I guess it might be possible that it was in backwards, but if it was installed with the gear to the outside, wouldn't it have rubbed on the crank gear?
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

Yeah it wasn't in backward. It is not possible because the gear side has a smaller diameter than the governer side. Does anyone know how far the governor is supposed to move when it hits the switch point?

Besides there not being the retaining pin that holds the governor shaft down, it looks like the actuator lever is bent. It is not parallel to the governor shaft. So i ordered a new pin and actuator lever, I guess I got off lucky, but it was a bummer to put the bike back together and then discover this today.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

On the bright side, you'll be much impressed with how it runs when the KIPS is working. :grin:
stipud

Post by stipud »

confirm...you will be impressed with the extra oomff, but i like you, are trying to beat a ktm 250...after fixing my kips,(well, to the horror of some of you, paying someone else to fix it), i am still just behind that damn ktm...not by much, but that little amount means i'm watching his rear wheel and still listening to that damn unbrotherly laugh!
it's not that im stipud, i just can't spell!
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

Anyone venture a guess as to how much power is gained by a working kips valve?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

A LOT. I'd guess 20-30%. The pipe, ignition mapping, and carburation are all set up around an open exhaust port.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

That much? Very nice, I wish my parts were getting here sooner. Ordered them on wednesday afternoon and i just tracked them to San Diego.... Looks lke I won't be able to sort it all out until next week
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

On another note, what year is this 250f you're trying to spank?
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

I can't remember if it is 2001 or 2002 ktm 250 exc f and is stock If I remember they were rated for around 30 hp. Do I stand a chance? Also, what is the best technique for getting off the line?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Can't recall the details of your bike. Anything done to it? With a pipe, good reeds, and proper jetting, I think you could take it.
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

I have a 1995 new top end w weisco, new super stock reeds, fmf desert pipe and muffler. Those are the go fast mods. When I get it back together I will work on the jetting, but on the short ride I went on after getting it put back together, the recommendation I got on here seems pretty good.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Also, what is the best technique for getting off the line?
Probably starting out in second and trying to keep spin to a minimum. Keep your rear tire pressure down around 8-9 psi and it'll put all you got to the ground.

You really need to whup him in the woods, the tighter the better. The KDX will outmanuever an '01-02 KTM anyday.

It is going to be close, though. You could pump his back tire up to about 20 when he's not around.......
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

As long as I can make a race out of it I will be happy, but I prefer to win. I will be pumping up his tire for sure
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol. That's funny.

It'll be close. A well tuned KDX200 is a pretty good match for a 250f. REV pipe certainly helps. Remove the airbox lid also, and jet it properly.
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

I took the snorkel out of the air box, you are saying take the lid out as well? Thanks for the tips
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

Got the new gov lever and pin in and went for a ride today, runs much better on the top end. Thanks everyone for the help
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

eroknroll wrote:I took the snorkel out of the air box, you are saying take the lid out as well? Thanks for the tips
Yeah, either remove it or cut the intake hole larger, or drill holes, or whatever creative method you would like to use to open it up a bit more. If you're still using the stock pipe, that's holding you back quite a bit also. You would of course need to revisit jetting after that.