New to me bike out for first time

Got questions? We got answers....
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

Had my bike out finally after getting it last fall, rode Sat and Sun. I am a new rider having only ridden a few times in my life before this. Anyway, 99 KDX220 and it ran great. Only problem I was having is finding neutral. Sometimes could get it sometimes couldn't. Prolly operator error but is there any tips anyone can give me? Saw some posts about different oils to use. Spectro clutch saver in there right now. I do need more practice but looking for rider advice or oil recommendations. Thanks
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

try a different oil, i have the same issue with different brand of oil. It does the same now when my oil needs to be changed.
Don't use the automotive oil that contains friction modifier.
Some use ATF, some don't like it.

Are you running the stock piston?
if you are, replace it, unless you like to spend a lot more than the cost of a piston and ring...
Don't believe me?
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 77&t=12032
stipud

Post by stipud »

i was having some clutch issues...and after a bit of research discovered 'F type' auto trans oil works pretty good for me...
it's not that im stipud, i just can't spell!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

My bike hates the Spectro clutch saver. When I use it the bike finds neutral all the time under motion and hardly ever when sitting still. :neutral:
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

So what do you re recommend?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I found a old bottle of Golden Spectro something. :hmm: I think it was like a 75 weight transmission oil and it shifted great, the oil seemed to last longer, and the clutch seemed to stay more consistent. I managed to lose the bottle and now I can't find anything close at the bike shops. I had that bottle from my last KDX that I sold about 12 years ago. I have found that IMHO if it says "_________ Saver" it isn't worth buying. :snooty:
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I use Bel Ray Gear Saver 80W motorcycle gear oil. It looks like ATF but it's thicker. It's about $12 a quart now so I have been extending my oil change intervals from a couple rides per oil change, to an entire summer, and my bikes seem to shift consistant all summer long.

At one time I tried the Bel Ray Gear Saver 85W but I had more clutch dragging issues and more missed shifts. They also make it in a 75W but I've never tried that one.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Brian wrote:I use Bel Ray Gear Saver 80W motorcycle gear oil. It looks like ATF but it's thicker. It's about $12 a quart now so I have been extending my oil change intervals from a couple rides per oil change, to an entire summer, and my bikes seem to shift consistant all summer long.

At one time I tried the Bel Ray Gear Saver 85W but I had more clutch dragging issues and more missed shifts. They also make it in a 75W but I've never tried that one.

My latest change was to the Bel Ray Gear Saver but I would have to look to see what weight and I seemed to have a few missed shifts and hard shifts. I'll look and update.

Edit

I just looked and the last I used was the Gear Saver 75 weight. But I also found the old bottle of "Golden Spectro 2 cycle gear lubricant 80 weight". I must go on a mission to find more of the "Golden Spectro 2 cycle gear lubricant 80 weight".
tirebiter

Post by tirebiter »

With almost all dirt bikes, it's hard to find neutral while the engine's running- KDX's are no exception.
Now, if your having a hard time shifting, that could be due to several variables-
New boots, shift lever is loose- or too high or too low, foot position on the peg isn't right, etc.
Check those things first (Ask an experienced rider how they set their stuff up), see if you can find what works for your feet & riding style.
After you've done that, your boots have been broken in and your still missing shifts or having a hard time shifting in general, THEN play with different oils.

BTW, I run Klotz flex drive 30 in my trans, smooth shifting stuff...
If I can't do it, I'm sure someone else can!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

In my KDX, I run nothing but ATF. Shifts seem smoother and clutch action is best. Don't be afraid to try different oils and see what works best for you. Some modern automotive motor oils can cause the clutch to slip, so beware of that. Best bet is a motorcycle specific trans oil or ATF.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have been able to relate my shifting issues to different oils. I have had bad days that I think it is just me but then the next time will be the same. Change the oil to a different brand / type and it is good for awhile. Might just try the type F next time. :partyman: