Spooge

Got questions? We got answers....
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Spooge

Post by Brian »

I've seen lots and lots of conversations about the the causes of spooge running down the silencer. Some say it's because of rich jetting, some say it's because of too much oil.

I have noticed that the spooge seems more directly related to throttle opening. If I spend a lot of time letting my bike warm up and/or riding at part throttle openings, I tend to get lots of drool down my silencer and excessive smoke. If I'm riding in more open terrain at much higher speeds and/or with large throttle openings, I get very little/no spooge and almost no smoke.

If I've been trailriding and then ride the bike home (plated for street) I get about a half mile of smoke behind me and it blows oil all over my fender. If I stop and wipe it off and keep riding there is no more oil on the fender or running down the silencer.

To summerize...if you want less spooge, open the throttle more :lol:
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Spooge

Post by Julien D »

What you are describing there is combustion. More complete combustion = less spooge. When you are wide open, combustion temps are hotter, and more of the charge gets burned, so you get less spooge. If you get noticable spooge and normally ride at lower throttle openings, a hotter plug can help achieve a more complete burn.

So yeah.

Factors of spooge:

Overall condition (low compression or poor crankcase pressure)
Jetting
2 stroke oil
Fuel quality
Spark plug heat range
Clogged silencer
Dirty air filter (insufficient air flow)

Umm... What else?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Spooge

Post by scheckaet »

sounds about right.
Some spooge is normal, a lot, something's up.
I'd make sure the jetting is spot on at all RPM/load range.

From what you describe, I'd say your main is good (I'd do a plug test to be sure) since on fast trail wide open you don't get as much.
Maybe your pilot is too big and or needle not where it should.
check the jet and needle section there's a jetting guide.
ldspowersports
Supporting Member

Spooge

Post by ldspowersports »

It is usually the jetting. Your bike may be rich 0-1/4 throttle and if you ride in this range it will spooge. Like what what was mentioned, a little bit is normal. Excessive spooge that drips down on the swingarm every time you ride is a bit much. Re-jetting will help, or possibly even a JD Jetting Jet Kit.

http://www.enduroarmor.com/jd-jetting-jet-kits/
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Spooge

Post by Brian »

I ride mostly below 1000 ft. and I all ready use a #35 pilot jet and a DEK needle. I cannot seem to get my bike to run clean at about 1/8 throttle. Each time I went smaller on the pilot jet it ran cleaner than before. I started with a #45 pilot and went smaller and smaller. I had to special order the #35. It is still more blubbery than my two other non RB KDX's (mine is RB'd). The smaller I go on the pilot the cleaner it runs at 1/8 throttle but the worse (leaner) it runs above 1/2 throttle at low engine speeds. I've moved the clip on the needle up and down and changed the fuel level in the float bowl and I still can't seem to get it to run clean down low and in the middle at the same time. The only thing I haven't changed is the main jet. It's a #150. It seems to run fine at full throttle. I suppose I can put a bigger main jet in and see if it helps clean up the lean running above 1/2 throttle.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch