clutch experts please help

Got questions? We got answers....
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

So I am putting together a 95 kdx 200 that I just bought. I tore it all down to do the top end and clean it up, and decided to replace the leaking clutch cover gasket.

I have the motor back on the bike and the clutch cable is hooked up but, when I squeeze the clutch cable the bike seems to stay in gear. Any ideas? I have the the cable tension set about as tight as i can. I didn't touch any of the clutch internals when I had the cover off. The bike was working fine when I tore it apart. Is this a clutch cable tension andjustment issue? Is it possible that the clutch release lever got turned around when I put it in?

thanks for the help
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

did you try this with the motor running or not?

the clutch needs to be spinning (engine running) in order to properly release
so if you tried it with the engine off that may be the problem right there
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

No, I haven't finished putting it all back together yet. Hopefully that is what it is. Thanks for the help.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

There is a thick washer that sits inside the clutch basket. You have to be sure that it doesn't fall out of place when putting the clutch back onto the transmission input shaft. If it falls down between the plates and the basket, then you won't be able to get your clutch to release. Pop the clutch hub back out, get that washer positioned on the input shaft, reassemble, and you should be good to go.
David Eckel
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

dfeckel wrote:There is a thick washer that sits inside the clutch basket. You have to be sure that it doesn't fall out of place when putting the clutch back onto the transmission input shaft. If it falls down between the plates and the basket, then you won't be able to get your clutch to release. Pop the clutch hub back out, get that washer positioned on the input shaft, reassemble, and you should be good to go.
+1
eroknroll

Post by eroknroll »

I got the rest of the bike put back together this morning, fired it up and the clutch worked great. I guess it was due to not having the engine running. Thanks for the help, I'm glad it wasn't something more complicated. I just want to ride.