200 Too Oily?

Got questions? We got answers....
kingmoochr

200 Too Oily?

Post by kingmoochr »

Took my bike for the first ride today and it performed awesomely. Snappy, great response, plenty of power. However, it seems to be (to me) excessively oily. After only 20 miles, I had the back of my arrestor completely black, with a stream of oil 3/4 of the way down the canister. It was also dripping out noticeably at the pipe joint. It also seems there was a bit collecting next to the exhaust port, under where the nickel-sized plug with the flat head slot is next to the KIPS box. I am running 40:1, and it doesn't seem TOO smokey, but there is a visible stream at idle, and a good puff at every whack of the throttle. Does everyone's bike get that bad, or might there be something going on with mine. My only exposure to 2T was several years ago with a moped so just looking for some input. Honda brand oil, if that makes a difference at all.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

200 Too Oily?

Post by SS109 »

Sounds like you need to rejet the carb. Read up on it here: http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=1156
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kingmoochr

200 Too Oily?

Post by kingmoochr »

The bike runs flawlessly, and the idle screw is 1.5 turns out. I really don't want to play with the jetting. As I said, the bike is snappy and powerful, no bogs even ripping it from idle to full throttle... The guide gets it running great, and it is there. Is there a particular facet of the jetting that has a big impact on this sort of thing? Needle taper or main jet size?
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

200 Too Oily?

Post by SS109 »

What position are you throttle wise most of the time. That will get you in the ballpark of what area of jetting to look into. If your constantly making big changes then I would probably look at trying a step down on the main and see what it does then.

Anyways, other possible causes can be that your bike just doesn't like that oil. I have no experience with that brand so... Maybe try some other brand. Losing any trans fluid?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
kingmoochr

200 Too Oily?

Post by kingmoochr »

Pretty much always on the needle. Not sure if it matters free revving, but it smokes pretty equally at any throttle opening in neutral.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

200 Too Oily?

Post by Julien D »

Does it use any transmission oil, or does that level stay consistent? Do you know what jets it has in it now?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

200 Too Oily?

Post by Tedh98 »

juliend wrote:Does it use any transmission oil, or does that level stay consistent? Do you know what jets it has in it now?
In addition to those questions, what is the compression at? Clean air filter? Has the silencer been repacked (if it can be)? Are the reeds in good shape?
kyledsmith87

200 Too Oily?

Post by kyledsmith87 »

I run 25:1 pre-mix ratio and get no spooge whatsoever.

ANY AND ALL SPOOGE IS A BYPRODUCT OF RICH JETTING.
kingmoochr

200 Too Oily?

Post by kingmoochr »

I repacked the silencer, but it probably needs it again now as oily as it is coming out the end of the pipe. I will look into the other aspects listed here, and maybe go down a main size. I'm not WOT very often so perhaps that'll help.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

200 Too Oily?

Post by Tedh98 »

If you don't ride WOT much, changing the main isn't going to help.
kingmoochr

200 Too Oily?

Post by kingmoochr »

The needle sits in the main, shouldn't closing that diameter help a bit overall?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

200 Too Oily?

Post by Julien D »

kingmoochr wrote:The needle sits in the main, shouldn't closing that diameter help a bit overall?
Very very little. The main is most active from 3/4 to WOT. The needle will have more effect on your mid-range, which is where most of us spend most of our time.
kingmoochr

200 Too Oily?

Post by kingmoochr »

The bike runs gloriously, would a simple clip change fix the oil without creating a lean bog, or will I probably need to look into a different needle?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 200 Too Oily?

Post by Julien D »

I'd start out raising the clip one notch and see what it does

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

200 Too Oily?

Post by KDXGarage »

Perhaps you could think of changing the jetting as making it run even better. Make one change at a time and take notes.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

200 Too Oily?

Post by Deseret Rider »

You are running Honda brand oil? It is two stroke oil Right? Maybe some kinds of oil burn better than others---I've heard that Castor oils do not burn well---that's why they provide excellent lubrication? But they make the mess you are describing? It would be interesting to hear from some of the guys that aren't having that problem---what kind of oil are you guys using? I'm inclined to think that if his bike is running really well that rich jetting is not involved---a bike jetted too rich usually doesn't run all that well.
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
kingmoochr

200 Too Oily?

Post by kingmoochr »

It is in the tank now, then will be replaced with Motul 2T. It came with the bike, was blue, and DISGUSTINGLY messy/nasty. The entire airbox was coated with the crap. Took forever to get cleaned out. Maybe I'll wait until running on the Motul before I get too involved...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

200 Too Oily?

Post by scheckaet »

Different brand will burn differently.
bike set up, carb tuning, riders style, temp and humidity all will affect the way oil burns.
A bike can run well even if jetted a bit fat. But it can run very well when jetted perfect...ask me how I know :wink:
Deseret Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

200 Too Oily?

Post by Deseret Rider »

The messy blue oil in the airbox likely is foam filter oil----It tends to be really sticky but should be on the filter itself more than spread around on the inside surface of the air box. I wouldn't think that has anything to do with the oil used in the premix but if the oil on the filter is so thick and sticky that it impedes the air flow to the engine then it might cause your bike to run rich------Fact is though though that two strokes ---even when set up right---do throw a little raw oil if not run hard and hot. I install a thin rubber O-ring at the head pipe junction which cleans up any drip at that area-----snd I stretch a small diameter section of tubing cut from a bicycle inner tube over the pipe/muffler junction which prevents drip at that area------so my bike runs clean despite the fact that I don't run it as hard and hot as some of the other guys. I do run Castor oils because I like the lubrication qualities and offset the 'mess' with these two modifications--------and I do have to wipe off a small amount of oil on the underside of the muffler after a long days ride-----not a problem.
The Duck of Deseret (Deseret was Utah's first name)
kingmoochr

200 Too Oily?

Post by kingmoochr »

The oil in the box and somewhat on the filter was exactly the color and consistency of the Honda oil. I figured the blow back from the 2T was soaking the filter and perhaps leaking down into the box. I will take a look at my reeds and make sure they are ok as well.