89 e series cylinder - what is a used one worth?

Got questions? We got answers....
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

I know, I know, it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it....

So what is an 89 e series cylinder worth if it needs a basic replating job and no additional welding is required to fill deep scratches? I am considering buying a used cylinder on ebay that may not need plating. If I can get some money for my old cylinder it may be worth it for convenience to buy a cylinder I can install immediately.

thanks
1989 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd guess $75 - $100? You might call up Millennium and see if they have any in stock for core exchange. Would be about $250 + $100 core charge. Sometimes they sell them through Ebay also. If you figure a re-plate is going to cost $200ish, and you sell the cylinder for $100, someone would have $300 in buying/re-plating it. They could get a freshly plated one outright for $350 if they do not have a usable core to exchange, so that sounds about right to me.

Perhaps I'm being generous. Here is a used cylinder that needs a re-plate for $50 and free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KDX200-KAWASAKI ... 45&vxp=mtr

For that price, might as well hang onto it, have it plated sometime, and keep it as a spare.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You are looking at a crap shoot to get on eBay and find an 18 - 23 year old cylinder that is in usable condition. If you already have a good core, then I would suggest you send it off. If you get one off eBay, IF, IF, IF, it is usable, how long do you think such an old cylinder is going to last?? How long will it be before you have two cylinders that need replating??

Replate the one you have now. I would guesstimate your cylinder to be worth $50 shipped to $75 shipped.

Don't forget the cost of new studs and dowels.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

The one I was watching on ebay today ended up selling for about about $300 shipped which was higher than I had in mind. I do suppose sending my own cylinder off for plating is a solid choice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 413wt_1153
1989 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I highly recommend langcourt, and they are nearby. mt-lcc does great work too.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

$307?!

WOW! I am very surprised someone paid that much for it.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I bought a used supposedly good cylinder off ebay for 300 (complete with head and kips) but when I got it, I found small chips in the cyl coating. Luckily, it was returnable (which I'd always recommend),

I ended up sending my 220 cyl to millenium including shipping both ways it cost 240, but it took nearly a month including shipping (about 4 days each way). If they have to weld/repair the cost goes up.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.