black goo

Got questions? We got answers....
mummertco

black goo

Post by mummertco »

hey all i have a 2002 220 and I have lots of goo comming out of the tail along with blue smoke . to me it seems like its rich. but a guy we ride with said something about if the crank seal is bad it can be letting crank oil in ? and help would be great ?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

black goo

Post by Julien D »

Hello, and welcome to the forum! Do you notice the transmission oil level going down after a few rides? If so, then it is likely that the RH crank seal is leaking.
mummertco

black goo

Post by mummertco »

how hard is it to replace i havent noticed it but i only have a 2 rides on this oil change..
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

black goo

Post by Julien D »

mummertco wrote:how hard is it to replace i havent noticed it but i only have a 2 rides on this oil change..
Keep an eye on your oil level. That will tell you quite a bit. If it is indeed burning transmission oil, there's no other way for the transmission oil to get into the crankcase short of a crack in the case or a leaking seal between the case halves, which is quite unusual.

As far as the repair, unfortunately, you do have to split the engine cases to replace the crank bearings and seals. It sounds daunting, but it's really not all that bad. If you can figure out for sure that is what is needed, we can definitely walk you through the process. A shop manual is also a good investment.
mummertco

black goo

Post by mummertco »

i was gonna try to lean it out a bit the air fuel screw would be turned to the left "counter clockwise " right?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

black goo

Post by Julien D »

Yeah, for a 2t that is correct. If it is rich enough to be smoking excessively you need to look at the jetting. Do you know what jets you have in the carb right now?

A good start is to start with the bike all warmed up (ride it), and then at idle. Turn the air screw in until the bike just about dies. Slowly back out the air screw until the RPM reaches it's highest point. There is a point where the idle stops getting faster, that is where you want to stop. After that, you can stop the motor, and turn the air screw all the way in 1/2 turn at a time, counting the turns. If the screw is now more than 2.5 turns out, your pilot is indeed too large.

If you'll visit our jets and needles section, there's a great sticky there with a very good step by step process for jetting bike correctly.