Bearing noise

Got questions? We got answers....
VFR

Bearing noise

Post by VFR »

Hi, here is my first question here!

I have a low hours, 95 KDX200 that I have had for about 15 years now. After I did a full service this spring I started it up and noticed a really odd thing happening. when the bike was still fairly cold, if you revved the motor a bit, as the revs were falling there was a distinct bearing squeal and the chain would jump like something was trying to catch. The bike was sitting in neutral. It would only do this intermittently. So I drained the fresh tranny fluid out and took the clutch cover off. (of course this tells me pretty much zero since this is not where it would be catching) and rechecked that all was good (I did change the clutch springs for 06 ones, I was told they were a better choice even though I have never had problems with the 95's). So I put it back together and put fresh oil in again. started it and the same thing happened. Then I went for a little spin to warm the motor up and the bearing noise only happened once. I revved it up in 1st, then chopped the throttle and let the motor slow the bike, and as it was coming down the squeal came for a moment. but then I couldn't get it to happen again.

I haven't been out since, but I will be intently listening for it to happen again.

Has anyone had a similar noise/issue? Any thoughts, or possibilities of what bearing it could be?

Thanks
Rob
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing noise

Post by Julien D »

I suppose there's several things it could be. Something dragging in the clutch, something in the transmission, or something in the crank assembly. When was the last time you had the motor torn down? I understand it's low hour, but it is a 1995. Could be time to check the crank and rod bearings for play? If everything checks out there, there are several bearings behind the RH engine cover that could be suspect. Short of that, It's splitting the cases to check the transmission.
VFR

Bearing noise

Post by VFR »

fair assessment, truthfully the motor has never been torn down. If the clutch was dragging in neutral, would it make the chain jump like it was trying to engage the transmission? Would the newer clutch springs maybe cause an issue? They have a different profile then the 95's, but are the same length.

I really need to get out and ride a bit to see if it surfaces again.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing noise

Post by Julien D »

If the bikes in neutral, I wouldn't think so.
VFR

Bearing noise

Post by VFR »

went out last week, and no sign of the mystery bearing noise. bike worked flawless as usual. Will just have to keep an ear out I guess.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Bearing noise

Post by Julien D »

As a precaution, drain the oil and look for any bits that shouldn't be in there? If something's floating around in there causing an intermittent noise, that could end badly. Better safe than sorry!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bearing noise

Post by kawagumby »

I've had low-time bikes that have sat for weeks or months and have a wierd squeal or something similar happen. The noises never return once you run them out for a while. Could be a dry spot inside somewhere has a build up of corrosion, or a dry bushing, etc... I'd only worry if it becomes continuous.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.