kips seized...

Got questions? We got answers....
stipud

kips seized...

Post by stipud »

thanks to the guys who pointed me in the direction of my powervalves for why i'm lacking in top end..

i'm getting about 10 degrees of turn out of it, then it feels like its hitting something...hopefully just carbon buildup?

the manual and everything i read talks about having the motor on a bench and disassembling it from there, but is there some clever technique that will enable me to clean it up in place?

if someone could explain in basic english how it works too?...a shaft comes off the crank into a block on the right hand side, which drives the valves open at a certain rev range?....i've looked about for info but it everything i look at is either super simple, or written for a nuclear physician!

also, i'm not going to do any damage by riding it before its fixed?...i'm not sure how long it's been like that, but i'm wondering if it happened when a mate fell off it, and after 5 minutes of kicking over and head scratching found the tailpipe full off dirt?...i really want to go on my first trail tomorrow!
it's not that im stipud, i just can't spell!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

kips seized...

Post by rbates9 »

If it is an H model you will want to keep track of what parts go where. The repair book I have has the valves listed backwards.
stipud

kips seized...

Post by stipud »

Bugger it...I'm gonna take it to mr kawasaki mechanic...

Btw, my first proper trail ride was awesome, 40km,(that's about 25miles to you backward americans) of beach, bush, and rolling farmland...supposedly one of the most difficult rides so far this season, and I only fell off about 5 times!...that means I'm trying hard enough I reckon, although I'm blaming the stuck kips on 2 of them!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

kips seized...

Post by Julien D »

Don't be scared! Pull the jug off and set it on the bench. You can get a KDX manual at cyclepedia.com for reasonable cost. 2 strokes are quite simple to work on, that's one of the reasons we love them so much!
stipud

kips seized...

Post by stipud »

ha...yeah, that's exactly what the wife told me i wasn't allowed to do!...
i'm not gonna make excuses, but my facilities are lacking at home a wee bit, so i dropped it to mr kawasaki this morning...and i'm sure what i could do in 8 hours, he'll do in 2...

thanks for the info anyway, at least i'm not having to pay him for diagnosing as well!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

kips seized...

Post by Julien D »

stipud wrote:i'm sure what i could do in 8 hours, he'll do in 2...
And charge for 5 :lol:
stipud

kips seized...

Post by stipud »

well, for your info, it seems the nz mechanics are pretty reasonable...i got a call today, they found a broken pin in the drive for the kips, 2 hours + parts, NZ$220...about US$170 i think...the overtime i had to do this week more than covers that so i'm chuffed...now we'll see if i can take my brothers KTM 250!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

kips seized...

Post by Julien D »

I guess reasonable is relative. That little pin is about $6. Should take about 30 minutes to pull the RH cover, remove the governor, replace the pin, and reinstall. So doing it at yourself would have saved you quite a chunk.

That aside, you'll be quite impressed with the performance increase from a working KIPS system. :grin:
stipud

kips seized...

Post by stipud »

mmm...i was very impressed with the extra power, all the way to to the fence!...now i have to fix my bent handlebars...doh...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

kips seized...

Post by scheckaet »

you're welcome :lol: