lacking top end?

Got questions? We got answers....
stipud

lacking top end?

Post by stipud »

i'm not sure if i'm being paranoid here, but my '02 200 seems to not rev out like i'd expect?
when im straight line racing, (like against my brother on his 250 ktm 4 stroke), it just seems to top out in the rev department, forcing a gear change... the low down torque seems ok...
i'm thinking the reeds might need looking at, but before i take that mission on for the first time, i thought i'd throw the question out there to see if anyone has any ideas about what the problem could be...i reckon i should be able to beat that damn brother of mine, but he just keeps creeping away!
i have a rev pipe, clean filter and now repacked exhaust, running 12/48 sprockets, but i havent looked at the jetting yet nor the reeds, it's still how i got it only a mere 2 months ago....
it's not that im stipud, i just can't spell!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

lacking top end?

Post by Julien D »

The very first thing I would look at is the power valves. You need to make sure all three are doing what they're supposed to do.
stipud

lacking top end?

Post by stipud »

do i have to remove the motor to check them?....my manual isn't very clear on that one...what should i be looking for?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

lacking top end?

Post by KarlP »

The easiest way to check the KIPS out is to remove the round slotted cover on the left side of the cylinder (left when you are sitting on the bike) and take a look under there.
You'll see a gear with a 10 mm nut in the center. Start the bike up and rev it up and that gear should rotate about 90 deg. and return.
If it does, you know that the KIPS driving force down in the right side of the motor is working and that your KIPS shaft and pawl gear are O.K.. It does not mean your valves are opening and closing.
To check that out you'll have to take off the exhaust and look up in the cylinder. You can put a nut driver on tha 10 mm nut under the slotted cover and operate the KIPS from there and see what is moving. Check out some parts views or a manual to see what is what.
I would not expect a KDX200 to be able to walk away from a KTM250 4stk. I'd think they are pretty even, with the edge going to the KTM in the speed dept.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
stipud

lacking top end?

Post by stipud »

Awesome...will have a nosey at that next time I'm not working...
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

lacking top end?

Post by scheckaet »

the next thing I'd check is jetting, can make a huge difference.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

lacking top end?

Post by fuzzy »

+1 on jetting. Does it have the stock pipe? I like the stock pipe, just short shift it. If you want to wring it out, get a rev pipe....Still might not take down a 250F...esp if it's an SX. Next step, head mod.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
stipud

lacking top end?

Post by stipud »

i've got a rev pipe on it already, (although it does have a long repair weld due to one of my stipud ideas which i'll discuss later), and hopefully i'll get some time tomorrow to have a crack at whether the powervalve is operating, but i've been reading about how you fellas just generally chuck the lid of the airbox away?...someone has drilled holes in it before i got it, then taped them over, but i'll rip that tape off and try that, but i'm struggling to see how that'll make much difference, surely kawasaki didn't design a restriction on the intake that'd cause much reduction?

more exciting though, i guess i'm gonna have to buy a jet pack?...i've been wanting a jet pack since i was 8!...seriously though, i'm a bit concerned i'm gonna screw something up when mucking about twith the carb, i think i'm gonna need to warm up to that...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

lacking top end?

Post by Julien D »

The carb is ridiculously simple. Crack it open one time, take jets out, and give it a good cleaning. You'll see how little there is to it. There's some good jetting info in the jets and needles section to help you along.
stipud

lacking top end?

Post by stipud »

ridiculously simple i can do!...although, i'm going on my very first trail ride on sunday, so i think i'll leave that till next week...
thanks guys, i appreciate the input
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

at least read the jetting guide in jets and needle section. That way you can get a good idea on what too lean or too rich symptom feels like.