chains and sprokets

Got questions? We got answers....
Malibuman

chains and sprokets

Post by Malibuman »

im kinda in a pinch right now. I FORSURE need a chain but i know im not gonna have one by this weekend (and i got a trip planned) but is there anyway you can take out a link for a cheap fix? and i found a 69.99 dollar chain and sproket kit made by D.I.D. its a 13/47 combo. has anyone used this? is it worth 70 dollars? and please help me with the chain pop trick
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

chains and sprokets

Post by rbates9 »

D.I.D isn't a bad chain set. There is better, but there is far worse. I would look into getting an o or x ring chain even if it is more money it will last much longer. Do a search on here because some people have had issues with some types of chains fitting.

As far as the "chain pop trick" I'm not sure what you are asking. You just need to remove the old master link and pull the chain out. Slide the new chain in and install the new master link. Make sure that the master link clip has the opening toward the back at the top of the chain. If the old chain does not have a master link than just cut it in half or gring down the link pins until you can pry the outer link plate off.

If you need to remove a link you will have to remove a inner and outer link (two links) to be able to get the master link to fit again.
Malibuman

chains and sprokets

Post by Malibuman »

thank you
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

chains and sprokets

Post by gsa102 »

Yes, you can always take a link out by grinding the side off until you can pry it apart. If your chain is worn that much, all bets are off as to how long it will last.

DID is a pretty good brand, but they also have different grades of chains. Get an O-ring chain and it will last maybe 5x as long. I will reverse and/or change my front sprocket before it wears all the way out, because it is a lot cheaper than changing it all, and I don't want the sprocket to cause wear on the chain. So I might use two fronts to an O-ring chain.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250