XR 440 Springs.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

XR 440 Springs.

Post by jafo »

Ok, I've been noticing posts about XR400 front springs for the KX forks. What gives? They suppose to be some awsome spring or what?

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

KDX, not KX.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

Are they talking about the stock XR4 springs? Nah, can't be.

I threw mine away almost as soon as I got the bike and replaced them with Eibach springs. I am a big kinda guy (6'2" 235#) and squashed the crap out of the stockers. Maybe if you are around 160# as that was the target rider weight for the stock XR4 boingers.
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Keeping in mind the combination weight of bike and rider, people of the proper weight for a .38 or .40 rate fork spring who have a 1986 - 1992 KDX200 or 1995 and newer KDX200/220R can use the stock fork springs from a Honda XR400R. The first two or three years was .38, and since then, they have been .40. Since the KDX is lighter than the XR400R, those rates would work better for a rider of the same weight. Again, keep in mind that the springs keep up the weight of the rider and the bike, so for example, the perfect, tested, tried 'em all and decided on rate X spring rate you would use in the XR400R would be stiffer than the perfect spring for you in a KDX, since the bike is lighter.

I'll take a guess. Did you go with .46 on the XR400R??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yeah...talking about the OEM XR400 springs. For all the reasons Jason stated, and a couple others, they are a very good choice for the KDX.

Well, I liked'em a whole lot better than the several other sets I tried.

Good stuff!

Not everyone that's tried 'em likes them. It's not a unanimous worship session or anything...

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!