Rusty flywheel with some sort of add-on weight?

Got questions? We got answers....
wakdady

Post by wakdady »

The deeper i dig into my Kdx200 the worse it gets! lol. shock linkage bearings completely shot, wheels fubar'd, rear wheel bearing seized, needle bearings came flying at me when i removed the swingarm and shock linkage. on the plus side, when i'm finished i'll be pretty confident in the build quality of the bike!

when i removed the flywheel cover i was greeted by some pretty gnarly rust. like this thing sat underwater for a while!
comparing my bike to others i've seen images of, it looks like mine has some extra metal plate on the outside.

What is it? Can I remove it? should i bother cleaning this bit up? or anything i may have missed. thanks guys, hopefully i can learn and contribute to the forum in the future.

on a side note, how can i tell which version of the FMF Gold Gnarly pipe i have?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

That steel plat is a ($100) flywheel weight. They are used to mellow out the power delivery. You can take it off but it looks like the type that replaces the nut for the flywheel so you will need to get the stock flywheel nut to do so.

As for the rust, You can clean it up if you want to but it probably won't hurt anything if you don't. At least you know the crank seals are good!
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Some rust on the flywheel is normal, I would not consider that to be excessive. If you try to clean it, filings could get in behind and stick to the magnets and cause issues with the ignition. I would spray it with wd-40, and put the cover back on with a new gasket.

You are doing the right thing by inspecting the linkage and replacing the bearings :bravo: . The suspension will work much better when you are done.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

Looks like a Steahly Flywheel weight.