where can i get a better lighting coil

Got questions? We got answers....
parker72001

where can i get a better lighting coil

Post by parker72001 »

i attempted to make my bike street legal, it now has a horn, brakelight and mirror, but since there is no battery everytime i hit the back brake the headlight goes out, all the power is attempting to light the brake light, that doesn't even happen though, RM has a lighting coil for the kx 500 but nothing else, any thoughts :grin:
-Parker
Parker Woods, 20 years old,
'04 KDX 220R
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You can either send your existing lighting coil to Ricky Stator and have him rewind it for $40 or you can purchase a electrex/moose 75w lighting coil for $80. Either one will put out more watts at a higher rpm than the stock lighting coil. If your headlight goes out when you've got the brake light lit up something most likely wrong with your wiring. The front headlight should dim but not go completely out.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Parker, do you have a regular bulb in the back, or an LED?

I have not purchased a higher output lighting coil, but I did contact rickystator about one. He was quick to respond, so if I were in the market, I would let him rewire mine. http://www.rickystator.com

m0rie, was it you who said that he rewires 1989 200/220 and newer lighting coils instead of replacing them?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Yeah the 89+ KDX lighting coils can be rewound by Rickystator. He says they are good for 75w but I think that might be a stretch except at WFO. The electrex replacement lighting coil has more plates as well as thicker wire on the windings. Its much more likely in my opinion to put out 75w lower in the RPM range. If your concerned about having lights at idle its the way to go, or make due with the stocker.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

i have a normal light/brakelight combo, the headlight doesn't completely go out but dims enough to not see anything when riding at night, thanks for the info
'04 KDX 220R
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You should most likely switch to a LED rear brake light. You can pick one up at any megalomart for $10 or so. That will draw significantly less juice than your current rear brake light and will keep the front light from dimming down so much when you use the rear light. If you do decide to switch to an aftermarket coil you can get a pair of UFO twins (or any aftermarket dual headlight with 25/30w bulbs) and run those for more light up front. You would have to run a LED light in the back though to get away with it.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Just in case you haven't already noticed, the higher the engine RPM, the brighter the light. When I used to ride at night, I would rev it to the moon to see where I was going even if I was coasting down a hill. :grin:
parker72001

Post by parker72001 »

yeah, i always mess around with my horn. i rev my engine really high, then hit the horn, it's really high pitched and then get lower and lower as the engine winds down, it's fun. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
parker
'04 KDX 220R
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

LOL! :lol: Two of my childhood friends had Yamaha scooters with street gear. On occasion, they would ride up and down our street with the blinker on and the horn pressed. It would get louder and quieter with the blinker going on and off. Thinking back on it now, I am surprised no one came out of their house and clotheslined them. :lol:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Electrex is reportedly not making the KDX light coil anymore. I haven't tried to get one myself..well another one..but I've heard that from several people.

It occurs to me that brake lights commonly have to be 'X' lumens to be legal. Whoever the regulating authority is in Montana..maybe they are sticklers, maybe not. An LED of several elements may not be bright enough to be noticeable as a brake light while the taillight is on.

In which case, I'd be looking for an 1157L LED bulb...not a separate LED piece in addition to the 1156 filament bulb. Easy to make the argument at that point, 'That's what this bulb is designed for,' if anyone had a problem with it.

How does 'street legal' work In Montana? Do you have to have DOT tires?

I happened to be in the local DMV during a training session, I heard the manager say, 'We are no longer checking for DOT tires on bikes being licensed.' Don't know what brought that about..but that's what was said.

Anyway...good luck.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!