KDX rebuild?

Got questions? We got answers....
Malibuman

KDX rebuild?

Post by Malibuman »

i bought a 1998 220 kdx about 3 years ago and maybe put 25 hours on it in those three years. the person who owned it before me also only put about 30 or 40 hours on it and let it sit. To the best of my knowledge the bike is stock and i dont think it has ever been rebuilt. i plan on doing that very soon. will yall let me know what i need? ( Parts, Machine work, part numbers, and cash?) and will yall let me know what to look for while i got her torn apart? Thank you
Fletch

KDX rebuild?

Post by Fletch »

First off Welcome. This forum will help you loads as it has for me.

Some 220's like to grenade the piston skirts, yours may or may not but since you're planning a build anyway get a Wiseco. Just search the fleabay for a 220 wiseco top end kit and get one with the top end bearing. You need to change that for sure. The only major trick is to make sure your piston pin circlips go in with only the minimal effort to get them in. Good people can put them in with their fingers but I wasnt able to do that. Make sure you don't use pliers to do it and most importantly make sure the opening of the clip is in the 12 oclock or 6 oclock position. This is important because the clip can compress when revving high and pop out if it isn't in the 12 or 6 position.
I forgot to mention you'll need a top end gasket kit too.

Figure out how to post pics here and get us some of your piston and cylinder walls. Cylinder only gets cleaned with wd and a scothcbrite pad. NO HONING.

GOod luck :drinkers:
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX rebuild?

Post by Julien D »

Looks like Fletch has you pointed in the right direction. Welcome to KDXRider!
Malibuman

KDX rebuild?

Post by Malibuman »

thank you
Malibuman

KDX rebuild?

Post by Malibuman »

one thing i forgot to mention in my first post is the reason for the rebuild. im just started getting back into the groove of riding this bike again and it will NOT pull like it should. its fine in first and nuetral. ok in the bottom of second. and skips bad in the other gears. i used to be able to ride the rear wheel ok in 4th but thats not even an option now. it wont pull up in 3rd or 4th at all. im HOPING this will be fixed with a new piston....... does this sound like a reasonable guess at what the problem would be??? the bike kinda feels like its trying to foul a plug. i have replaced the plug and all but im just trying to make sure its not some kind of stupid easy fix before i go and tear my complete bike apart. thank you fellow kdx riders.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX rebuild?

Post by rbates9 »

It would be worth replacing the piston if you think it is stock just for piece of mind.

Have you checked the compression?

I would take the carb off and clean it, maybe even check the jetting to see what that does for your power issue.
Malibuman

KDX rebuild?

Post by Malibuman »

well i think im gonna go ahead and put on the wiseco piston. and hopefully that will fix my problem. about how much should i plan on spending to put all this back on my bike. i'm familar with working on cars...and hydrolic systems on a tractor. but two strokes are kind of new to me. im just worried ill get it taken apart and tear it up somehow. :( thanks again
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KDX rebuild?

Post by KarlP »

I think I would look to the carb for your running issues. That silly 10% ethanol gas has been causing me some problems lately - chainsaw, weedeater, leaf blower had fuel line problems one after another. My brother reported not having ridden one of his bikes for ~ 3 months and finding green slime in the bowl of the carb. I've got a bike I haven't started in 4-5 months, I bet it has an issue or two.
It certainly would not hurt to get the OEM piston out. It would be nice if the bike was running well first, though.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy