looking for a bike for the wife

Got questions? We got answers....
gwynfryn

Post by gwynfryn »

Haven't really followed this thread but is it not nearly a year since it started. Arn't you over thinking it a bit? If it has two wheels and a motor it will do. The main thing is to find a nice clear reasonably flat paddock/field to learn on!
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

jeeptech1 wrote:Oh by the way. The 125 pig bikes all dry weight around 172(more if e start). My wifes drz125 weighed around 190 with a full tank, her kx weighs 160 with a full tank. Easy to start? Ever tried to start a 125 after its gone down(after you pick it off of her because she cant)? I think not. Your facts sir are not accurate in the real world. The reason we are suggesting different bikes is because: 1. The misconception that they are high strung race bikes is not necessarily true, they actually make very good trail bikes, and neutering them by fww is a highly retarded statement. Many pros use fly wheel weights. 2. In my opinion its just as easy to learn on the kx or 150 as it is to learn on a horribly suspended 125 pig bike if not easier due to lighter weight. They actually have the opportunity to grow into the bike instead of getting the basics and then needing a new bike. 3. Have yet to put a ding in the kx pipe and it has gone down in boulders and every other type of terrain.4. My wife is an ex u of o cheerleader so very girly, can barely drive a stick, but can ride a kx competently. If she can do it, any lady can.
Sorry dude, guess I touched a nerve. If your wife is happy with her 100, that's great. I will say it sounds like she actually learned on a DRZ125 rather than the KX, so your opinion on the 100 as a fisrt bike kinda doesn't hold water. :mrgreen: And if you're going to call one of my statements highly retarded (whatever that means), please don't just take part of it out of context, (Yeah, you can go ahead and nueter them with a FWW, gearing, screwing up the power valve & carb and while you're at it just smash the expansion chamber!) BTW the facts in my world are that my girl picks up her KLX300 and KTM250 when she falls and she weighs 100 pounds. Most women I know can pick up a 185 lb. bike, weather it's a 125 pig or a CR150r.

I'm just trying to help th OP make an educated decision based on my expierence. The four strokes weigh 172ish dry, KX 157 dry, and the 150r-185lbs. not a huge difference. I've ridden a KX100 and many 80/85's and they are without a doubt pipey high strung race bikes, which is what they are designed to be, aren't they? If the OP was worried about his wife "actually have(ing) the opportunity to grow into the bike instead of getting the basics and then needing a new bike" couldn't he just detune his extra KDX and throw on a kouba link. That way he wouldn't have to replace the bike she learns on like you did.

Years ago my buddies girlfriend used to ride with us guys on her CR85 expert. She always said she wasn't strong enough for a real bike, but realy struggled in the big whoops, faster sections and was terrified of hills ont the tiny Honda. Once she started riding a full sized bike, she had no problen keeping up. I've been riding for 39 years, and all of my friends wives or girlfrinds who don't move up from play/kids/mini bikes quickly loose interest and quit riding. You want them to learn at their pace, have fun. It's way more fun to have your girl railing the trails with you than just following on the "easy stuff" with their cute little kiddie bike.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

Its cool. I understand that there are different points of view on first bikes. You have yours, I have mine. We all ride so lets just get along. No reason for arguments on forums and I apologize for my part in it. Yes her first bike Was a drz, she hated it and had to relearn how to ride with the kx. So for her it would have been easier to learn on the kx first. Everyone is different, she can ride whatever I throw at her, I love it. Get her to be able to follow you anywhere and you will love it (like you said). Ive tried to get her on a bigger bike but she won't do it.
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

Slick_Nick wrote:Went through this exact thing recently, and I did some exhaustive research. If its her first bike, make it a 4 stroke. She will feel much more comfortable and become confident much quicker. Look at the 125/140 4 strokes. I ended up going with a TTR 125L with electric start, but the CRF's are great, as is the KLX/DRZ 125 (same bike) and KLX 140.

Sorry that I'm digging up from the past but what jets are you using in the ttr 125. My lady has one also and I haven't been able to get the right set for our freak altitude / weather, parts guys at Blackfoot haven't a clue
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: looking for a bike for the wife

Post by diymirage »

took me a while but I finally got her one
it an 02 TTR125-L

its in a little bit of a rough shape but seems to be mechanically sound

now, if anyone can tell me where to find purple plastics for it ?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike