looking for a bike for the wife

Got questions? We got answers....
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I understand; what I was saying is if they were still in the pro circuit for superX, motoX...trying to compete with the thumpers it might be a bit different...I have no doubt they would lose some of their reliability...
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: looking for a bike for the wife

Post by Julien D »

That depends. If the 4ts get to keep their displacement handicap, then yeah. If that handicap were removed or even decreased, then it would once again become feasible for privateers to compete in pro level AMA events. Say up to 350CC 2t in the 450 class? Less expensive to own and wouldn't need to be nearly as high strung as the modern thumpers.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

i'd like that, a 350 smokers spanking on the 450 thumpers :supz:
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

hey guys, still working on this
ive come to a point where i have a very decent KDX im ready to sell in order to buy her a bike
(or trade for one)

anyway, just making sure im on the right track...some one offered up a CR125 as a trade
not a good starter bike right ?

i dont know any of the specifics yet but might it be a good idea to get the CR in order to get the TTR and make a profit ?
what i mean is, would the CR have a better resale value then the KDX?
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

diymirage wrote:hey guys, still working on this
ive come to a point where i have a very decent KDX im ready to sell in order to buy her a bike
(or trade for one)
diymirage wrote:anyway, just making sure im on the right track...some one offered up a CR125 as a trade
not a good starter bike right ?
I would say that a peaky 125 2 stroke with next to no bottom end would not make a great first bike. And they are about the same size (height wise not weight) as the KDX so you might as well just keep the KDX for her to learn on.
diymirage wrote:i dont know any of the specifics yet but might it be a good idea to get the CR in order to get the TTR and make a profit ?
what i mean is, would the CR have a better resale value then the KDX?
That is going to depend on your area. Check craigslist and see what they are going for.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

thanks Bates, i figured it wouldnt be a good starter bike

as for craigslist, there isn't a single one on there...not even the one the guy offered me

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Well that doesn't help much then does it. :doh:

Have you tried "searchtempest"? It is basically a craigslist master search. You can search by miles from where you are and not have to look at the different areas around you. http://www.searchtempest.com/

Plus it doesn't update as quick as craigslist so if it sold a few days ago it may still show up where it won't on craigslist.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

yes there is many search engines......or you can do it the ol way

kdx 200 site:craigslist.org

or for here

indawoods site:kdxrider.net

think you get the picture. It will give you an updated list as well and all over with state listed etc.

type the first into google search and whalla.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/3589676718.html

Did you see this ? Not sure if what your trying to achieve but sounds like maybe what your goin after.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

hey...thats a nice one
i just dont know if it would be up the the TTR
i looked at the specs and it seems a lesser bike, drum brakes around, no electric start

as for what i am trying to achieve...i have a KDX i want to sell and use the money to buy the wifey a good starter bike
i started this thread to get a good idea what would be a good starter bike and i kinda have my heart set on a TT-R 125L/E

it should be a good match for her size, rather affordable, 4 stroker and an electric start to boot

i just put the KDX i rebuild up for sale and the guy offered me his CR in return, the only reason i considered it was because it may be easier to turn for a profit then the KDX

after looking at the few CR 125s that are listed around me (thanks Bates) ive decided they arent worth much at all
let alone more than a KDX

jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

I know its been said before. But... kx100 with a flywheel weight. That's my wife's ride and she wouldn't have it any other way. She is not a fast rider, it almost never sees the power band(usually only if I ride it!), has yet to foul a plug. Starts 2nd kick no matter what. Will climb anything. I've taken her through boulder fields, nasty muddy rocky rooted trails and it made it through just fine. The initial learning of how to slip the clutch to not stall took about a hour but after that she loved it! Her biggest issue is weight. She is 120ish and loves how light her kx is. Her 1st bike was a Drz125 and she hated how much it weighed. She could hardly pick it up after falling over. She would get tired and not want to ride just because of that. The kx actually gave her confidence, so much so that she will tackle any obstacle cuz she knows she won't get crushed and can actually man handle her bike. And when we do hill climbs the bike has the power to do it. The seat to peg height isn't ideal but she doesn't want a bigger bike . The kx is really mellow, the power band is way up there and really short so it is actually hard to whiskey throttle into a tree. Just my 5 cents. Don't get her a pig bike! You will have a back ache at the end of the day having to pick it up for her. Trust me
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

http://lansing.craigslist.org/mcy/3577396828.html

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/mcy/3589082694.html

thats all I could find in michigan. Feel free to look in between you and me you know my addy. I have friends from college at hiram and tiffin. From there Im just a little over an hour to michigan. I have a truck and trailer and we could split distances. Not a big problem for me at all really I use a 92 ford ranger and it is great on gas. Its actually easy to put bike in back by self. I can have a place to stay and hang out with some buds and return home next day.

Anything to help repay the kindness. BTW caliper is on and working great! Thank You Again!!!
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i've been looking at the KX aswell Jeep and i must say, i like the low weight of the bike but im just not sure about the 2stroke engine

Don, thanks for the offer but i really need to sell the KDX first before im ready to buy a TTR (or whatever bike i end up getting her)
if you do make it over this way we should definatly hit the trails together

im kinda surprised you only found 2
i looked on the holland CL and i found 5 on the first search (which includes "nearby" results)

diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

what do you guys think of this one ?
its only one hour from my house, female owned and an 02

i dont know a ton about these bikes but it has a front disc brake...does that make it a L model with the 19/16 tires instead of the 17/14 ?

im thinking of trading this 96 KDX 200 for it

what are you guys' thoughts on this?

bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

well, the TTR owner would certainly be getting the much better part of that trade for sure. The little TTR's are a tame little bike, easy to learn on, but usually quickly outgrown as in they don't keep pace with a riders learning curve. If all you think it'll do is putt around fire roads and easy trails it'll be a fine learner. If your wife is the adventurous sort I'd lean towards a KX100...2 stroke maintenance plan (i.e.: cheaper), a billion of them out there, they are still making them, parts easy to find, throttle limiters are available to limit amount of twist (for keeping her off the pipe!) Just my 2 pennies worth...plus that 200 is just a sharp looking bike now :wink: and her sister might not like blue in the same room :lol:
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

don't do a straight trade!!!
your kdx is worth a hell of a lot more than the ttr.
Just to give you an idea, I got my wife a ttr 125 L (disc brake only for the L, which stand for big wheel, and the E is for Electric start by the way) for 800 bux 2 years ago ( overpaid about 100 bux though) and i just sold one of my kdx for 1700...
just be patient and the deal will pop up...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Around here TTR's go for between $500-$1000. There is an 05 for $600 right now. So you would be getting the very short end of the deal.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The TTR is O.K. for a wife bike. I'd think you could get one for well under $1000.

The KX100 is a better choice, in my opinion. Your KDX traded for a clean KX100 would be about an even trade, around here the KX100 is in demand and good ones go for $13-1500.

The TTR is pretty heavy and has kind of lousy suspension. The KX feels 80 pounds lighter. The lack of electric start is not an issue because they start so easy.

I bought my wife a KX100. After she broke her leg on it and decided riding was not for her, I was not stuck with a crappy old TTR. :grin:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i think you guys are right on the price difference
around here TTR run between 800 and 1300

havent seen a whole lot of H-series so im not sure what i could ask for it but i know im into it for about 1200

maybe i will give the KX100 some thought
i do like the idea of it being lighter then all the other bikes...and it being green doesnt hurt iether

i think ill look into some throttle stops for it
while we're on the subject...what exactly does a fly wheel weight do ?

i know ive had import cars before where i had the flywheel shaved to save weight, it would allow the car to rev higher but you would have to drop the clutch at higher revs as well or she'd stall
so, reverse engineered i guess the weight would cause it to rev slower and would make the engine less prone to stalling correct?

ryan sanborn

Post by ryan sanborn »

I know my first bike was a 1999 kdx 200 ,this was the very first bike I rode ,I couldn't touch the ground ,had too soften the spring ,but after a month or two I was riding fine ,,,I know the crf 230 is a pretty good bike for beginners I wouldn't get anything smaller cause she will outgrow the 125s and want something faster