looking for a bike for the wife

Got questions? We got answers....
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

The fly wheel weight gives the engine more rotating mass which helps it not stall as easily. It doesn't really slow how fast it revs from my experience, but it does help keep the tire from spinning. You won't need a throttle limiter. I was worried about it being too much motor for my wife, but like I said before the power band is very narrow and way up at the high end of the revs so she never has had issues with it having too much power. It's not a grunter like our kdx's so it is relatively flat power wise til the very top. But still has more power down low than a ttr. It really is the best wife bike. Starts super easy too. Just get one, you (and she) will be glad you did.
Here is a pic of her on her kx. And yes she road through the rocks Image
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: looking for a bike for the wife

Post by Goofaroo »

An XR100 would get your wife up to speed much quicker than a more serious bike. They are also easy to find locally and will hold their value better than almost any other bike. They are about as reliable as the sunrise and very easy for a beginner to learn on. The motor has a very wide spread of power and the seat and ergos are super comfy. She will learn quicker, ride longer before getting tired, and be confident about tackling more difficult terrain much sooner than she will on a bigger bike. It will certainly be less frustrating for you since her speed and ability will mature quickly and it will also be a much more fun experience for her since the XR is not as intimidating as a bigger machine. You will also be surprised to see how fun it is for you to ride.

If and when she decides to move up to a bigger bike, sell it and get your money back (or make a few dollars) and the skills that she learned on the XR will easily carry over to any other bike she chooses.

A very nice XR100 will be about $800 to $1000.
Lusk_se

1997 KDX 220

Post by Lusk_se »

Where is the fuel line? In ours we can't find it connected to the tank...
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I'm with goof, and will take it to the next level. If I were to do it again I would have got my wife an auto clutch type (ie klx 110l). Small bike but would have been better received I think. A little too much for her, especially on the trails. She got frustrated and was done.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

Goof, there are almost a dozen XR100s for sale local to me, all between 600 and 1100 dollars
i woulder if it would be slower then the TTR ?

(didnt we rulle out the RX100 a few pages ago though?)

no KX100s locally and the KLX 110s all look tiny...are they smaller ?

at any rate, im still negotiating on the TTR i posted but it would have to come with a few C notes attached
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

seen a nice looking KLX 125 locally
it has about the same numbers as the TTR125 and the CR100
any thoughts on that one ?

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Too bad it's so far from you but http://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/3613288902.html A few pictures would help but might be a good project.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Goof, there are almost a dozen XR100s for sale local to me, all between 600 and 1100 dollars
i woulder if it would be slower then the TTR ?
It probably would be slower in a drag race between two equal riders. However, your wife will probably be faster and have more fun on the XR.

There's a lot of them available because they are great bikes. I bought a 2000 model for $1000 about 5 years ago as the next step for my son when he outgrew his XR70. I sold it on CL in one day last summer for $1000. I would have kept it for my wife if she would have shown any interest but she is not the dirt bike type. It's one of those bikes that I would have liked to keep around buit I just don't have the space for it.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

I'll weigh in here, I think your idea of a 125 playbike is right on. The fact is that KX100s and CR85 experts are high strung race bikes designed for aggresive teen age boys to be screaming around a MX tracks bouncing off the rev limiters. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most girls I see on these bikes are bogging around the campsite or putting along powerline roads at 1/4 throttle and don't ever get close to utilizing the suspension. Yeah, you can go ahead and nueter them with a FWW, gearing, screwing up the power valve & carb and while you're at it just smash the expansion chamber :roll: ! It still ain't the right tool for the job IMHO.

Back in the good old days they made 2 stroke play bikes that had mellow power, were simple, and light weight. Now the only play bikes made are heavy-ish four strokes, but if you go with something under a 200, like a TTR125 or KLX140, they are not too heavy and carry their weight pretty low. (I would avoid that XR100 because the lousy drum front brake won't inspire her to learn proper braking) My GF got into riding on a TTR125, which was perfect for her. It was the lighter kick only version(163lbs.). She did outgrow it and moved to a TTR230, which was short lived because of it's crappy suspension and weight(251lbs.), more than my Husaberg 650 :rolleyes: . I tried talking her into a KDX but she hated the power delivery of my 200, even when it was stock. So she then got a KLX300, which is only a bit lighter than the 230, but has real suspension and way more power. Now she hauls ass on a KTM 250 EXC. Keep in mind we never sold any of her bikes for less than we had into them.

I would just assume her first bike is a stepping stone, and find the one she'll have the most fun learning on.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

A very nice, small frame bike is a Honda CR150R big wheel. They have gobs of power but are not too aggressive. The suspension is pretty good and disk brakes front and back. They are pretty much a scaled down CR450F. I ride with a girl that has had a few of them and had no problems with any of them. They will get up and scream or you can put along with them if you want to. She has done nothing to the bikes to make them more trail friendly other than sprocket changes. I think a flywheel weight would help but she seems to do just fine with out one. Also they are VERY light. Like pick it up and carry it if the going gets too bad kind of lite. Probably the only thing that they could do better is the 150 can get a little stubborn at times to start if the get off is less then graceful and it spends much time upside down.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

So far all I see is a bunch of opinions about why the kx1hunny is bad but no facts or seat time to prove it(let alone owners). It's cool. Truth is get whatever you feel will work for her. Cuz everyone knows if she ain't happy, nobodies happy! I'll get off my kx soapbox and let you all decide.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

jeeptech1 wrote:So far all I see is a bunch of opinions about why the kx1hunny is bad but no facts or seat time to prove it(let alone owners). It's cool. Truth is get whatever you feel will work for her. Cuz everyone knows if she ain't happy, nobodies happy! I'll get off my kx soapbox and let you all decide.
dont get me wrong, i've considered the KX1hunny (insert hunny joke) but i feel like i really should start her off on a 4 stroker
that narrows it down to a TT-R 125,the DR-Z 125 and im sure there is another one im missing

i am STILL kicking myself for trading in my yamaha DT50LC to get my first KDX

i guess im just really hoping this one sells so i can focus on what bike to buy and just pay cash for it rather then have to try and work out a trade

bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

diymirage wrote:dont get me wrong, i've considered the KX1hunny (insert hunny joke) but i feel like i really should start her off on a 4 stroker
that narrows it down to a TT-R 125,the DR-Z 125 and im sure there is another one im missing

i am STILL kicking myself for trading in my yamaha DT50LC to get my first KDX

i guess im just really hoping this one sells so i can focus on what bike to buy and just pay cash for it rather then have to try and work out a trade
The TTR and DRZ 125s would be great and pretty easy to find used. The CRF150f not R would be good to, but a bit heavier. The KLX140 seems to be a great bike and the only one in it's class with a rear disc. The non e-start TTR125 is super easy to start and lighter at 163lbs.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

bcdonyo wrote:The CRF150f not R would be good to, but a bit heavier. The KLX140 seems to be a great bike and the only one in it's class with a rear disc.
What is wrong with the 150R? And it has rear disk too.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

rbates9 wrote:
bcdonyo wrote:The CRF150f not R would be good to, but a bit heavier. The KLX140 seems to be a great bike and the only one in it's class with a rear disc.
What is wrong with the 150R? And it has rear disk too.
Seems ironic that so many who choose to ride the tame mellow KDX are suggesting beginners start out on high strung mtotcross bikes. :doh:

Oh and take a look at the 150r's maintence schedule.
jeeptech1

Post by jeeptech1 »

Oh by the way. The 125 pig bikes all dry weight around 172(more if e start). My wifes drz125 weighed around 190 with a full tank, her kx weighs 160 with a full tank. Easy to start? Ever tried to start a 125 after its gone down(after you pick it off of her because she cant)? I think not. Your facts sir are not accurate in the real world. The reason we are suggesting different bikes is because: 1. The misconception that they are high strung race bikes is not necessarily true, they actually make very good trail bikes, and neutering them by fww is a highly retarded statement. Many pros use fly wheel weights. 2. In my opinion its just as easy to learn on the kx or 150 as it is to learn on a horribly suspended 125 pig bike if not easier due to lighter weight. They actually have the opportunity to grow into the bike instead of getting the basics and then needing a new bike. 3. Have yet to put a ding in the kx pipe and it has gone down in boulders and every other type of terrain.4. My wife is an ex u of o cheerleader so very girly, can barely drive a stick, but can ride a kx competently. If she can do it, any lady can.
Last edited by jeeptech1 on 12:22 am Mar 01 2013, edited 2 times in total.
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

What kind of gal are you married to? Is she one of those chicks that does extreme skiing, kicks ass on a mountain bike, and only eats hunted meat or is she the more "typical" kind of girl?

If she's a "typical" girl and you are hoping to get her out of the stores and into the woods then you will have much more success if you make it very easy, comfortable, and fun for her to hit the trail and have a good time. I've been suggesting the XR100 (one of the top 10 bikes of all time in my opinion) but I don't know your wife. You have to decide what is best for her and provide her with the right bike or this whole scheme of getting her on a bike will last just a few rides (short and frustrating rides) at best.

You will never go wrong buying her a bike that she outgrows. If you buy her a bike that is too small, she won't even know it is too small and will have a great time almost immediately. Hell, any of us could jump on an XR70 right now and have a great day on the trails. In fact, I would argue that if she is a "typical" girl, an XR70 with it's automatic clutch is probably what you should buy. They are little cheaper that the XR100 and a good one can be had for $600 to $1000. There are several to choose from on CL at any given time. Let her have a blast and learn to ride and then sell it, get your money back, and buy her an XR100. She could then learn to use the clutch and how to use the extra power and suspension. A good rider on a XR100 can get through the woods surprisingly quickly- but so can a beginner.

On the other hand, if she's into triathlons and routinely trophies at the local downhill mountain bike races then she might just need to jump on your KDX and have a go at it.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

jeeptech1 wrote:Oh by the way. The 125 pig bikes all dry weight around 172. My wifes drz125 weighed around 190 with a full tank, her kx weighs 160 with a full tank.
My girl's old 2002 TTR125 non e start was 163.1 lbs. dry, hardly a pig. Now she rides a 250lb. adults bike way faster than she ever could a play bike or kids MX bike. I agree with Goofaroo, get something cheap, reliable and fun to learn on then sell it if and when she wants to upgrade.
Last edited by bcdonyo on 01:13 am Mar 01 2013, edited 1 time in total.
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Post by bcdonyo »

Goofaroo wrote:What kind of gal are you married to? Is she one of those chicks that does extreme skiing, kicks ass on a mountain bike, and only eats hunted meat or is she the more "typical" kind of girl?

On the other hand, if she's into triathlons and routinely trophies at the local downhill mountain bike races then she might just need to jump on your KDX and have a go at it.
That's very true, a female friend of ours was a serious mountain bike racer and used to work at one of our favorite watering hole's we'd go to after our rides. She wanted to moto as she called it after hearng my girl talking about how fun it was. We recomended a 125 play bike, but she got a TTR225, which is a true heavy pig. She picked it up super quick and instantly moved onto a YZ250F, but an agressive mountain bike racer is not your typical beginner girl.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

i know the wifey would like to work out and do the marathon stuff but with her working anywhere between 40 and 80 hours a week and having a 3 year old to raise that just isnt an option

something light would be better, but then again something easy to ride definatly trumps that

as for her dropping it...im not too worried about that, im not expecting her to get into situations where she is likely to drop it
of course, i wont take her down black diamond trails on her first ride iether