KDX Newbie

Got questions? We got answers....
gopack4749

KDX Newbie

Post by gopack4749 »

Hello all. I have had dirt bikes just about my whole life (34 years). I sold my 1987 XR 600 about 3 years ago when my second child was born. Got the itch so I bought a 1987 KDX 200 today. For its age it seems pretty strong. I have never had a KDX before but from what Internet reading I have done about them they seem to be really reliable and bulletproof. I have taken apart the one I bought to clean and I know it needs the following:

OEM Kickstarter
OEM Kickstand
OEM Chain Roller
OEM or aftermarket Tank Graphics (air cooled, no rad. shroud)
Basic Tune up-air filter/spark plug (is the BR8ES NGK the right plug?)/crankcase oil (best brand/weight/capacity?)

Any help you guys could give me would be appreciated. Is the Kawasaki dealer the best places for parts or is ebay better? Thanks for helping a newbie.
Cha Ching

KDX Newbie

Post by Cha Ching »

I have had alot of trouble locating parts for my 01 at any Kawasaki dealer. I just order what i need, when i need it.
hbgod

KDX Newbie

Post by hbgod »

the chain roller is pretty universal and these bikes didnt come fitted with a kickstand. im sure you could mount one if you wanted it. and everything else either bikebandit.com or ebay
If you ain't Mixin Gas, You ain't Haulin Ass!
kingmoochr

KDX Newbie

Post by kingmoochr »

hbgod wrote: these bikes didnt come fitted with a kickstand
:hmm: the kickstand boss welded onto my swingarm sure seems like it came from the factory...
gopack4749

KDX Newbie

Post by gopack4749 »

Thanks for the info. My swingarm also has the kickstand boss welded in-holes are threaded.
wakdady

KDX Newbie

Post by wakdady »

imo, bikebandits prices suck. unless you own a triumph, i'd shop elsewhere. mrcycles.com has fantastic prices on oem stuff.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX Newbie

Post by KDXGarage »

The stock plug is an NGK B9ES, but unless you are always revving it out, go with a B8ES (or higher grade).

I got my 1987 KDX200 new, and it did come with a kickstand.

A lot of parts are discontinued. Just look on eBay for used parts. (not the air filter, though, look for Twin Air, Uni and others)

Congratulation on getting back into dirt biking.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX Newbie

Post by SS109 »

Service Honda has great prices on OEM. The ThumperTalk store does as well. Unfortunately, in your case, almost everything is going to be discontinued. Ebay is your go-to place for old OEM bike parts.

For trans oil I recommend, and use, automotive ATF Type F. I would also go with the BR8ES (over the B8ES) just because it is easy to find at any auto parts store and the resistor won't affect how it runs one bit. Like Jason said, look to the aftermarket for the air filter. Graphics are going to have to be custom as the factory versions have long been discontinued and I highly doubt you'll find any out there. Finding a graphics company that is willing to work with you and having them made is pretty much your only option.

BTW, welcome to KDXrider and back to riding! :supz:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX Newbie

Post by diymirage »

SS109 wrote: Graphics are going to have to be custom as the factory versions have long been discontinued and I highly doubt you'll find any out there. Finding a graphics company that is willing to work with you and having them made is pretty much your only option.

if only someone could bring this into the royal court and to her majesty the Queens attention, maybe we could have a set of KDXrider graphix drawn up and made
i hear shes cooking up some graphix for the forum aswell as maybe Tshirts and panties aswell allready anyway :mrgreen:
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX Newbie

Post by SS109 »

diymirage wrote:if only someone could bring this into the royal court and to her majesty the Queens attention, maybe we could have a set of KDXrider graphix drawn up and made
i hear shes cooking up some graphix for the forum aswell as maybe Tshirts and panties aswell allready anyway :mrgreen:
I could probably come up with something good if I had the templates to work with.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

KDX Newbie

Post by Julien D »

That is an excellent idea. If we could commission KDXRider.net graphics for all models, how cool would that be? Not sure how feasible it is right now. We would most likely need to run off a lot of sets on the first go-round to make the individual set price realistic for the average buyer. That would be a chunk of money up front....