New member and rider. But have bike problems

Got questions? We got answers....
JasonARGY

New member and rider. But have bike problems

Post by JasonARGY »

Hi all!

I bought a KDX200 2 weeks ago and took it for its first real ride last weekend. After an awesome and very tiring 6 hours, i had discovered some issues with the bike. First, it had no hose clamps on the fuel line and a dumped out a good gallon or so of gas all over the trail before i pulled over and fashioned this. Image and also, is that little arrow pointing at the screw to adjust fuel ratio? I think its a bit rich, there is black stuff that comes out the exhaust and it seems to flood when i stall it.

Anyway, I bought some clamps that ill install but whats the deal with fuel being in that hose? is there a process to get it back in there once i the hose back on?

The guy I bought it from said it had a new clutch so I'm guessing this is the cause but i think the gasket of this cover thing Image is leaking. Found silicone at the very bottom part of it but it still leaks a bit. Is it hard to find a gasket for this part? what is this part even called? Sorry i'm a noob.

Any help appreciated!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

That screw in your pic is the idle screw. The air screw is lower and to the back more.

As far as smoke, it is a 2 stroke.... They smoke....

Your best bet is to start by cleaning the carb (pull the carb off and take it apart to clean it) and try the jetting guide that can be found on this site with an easy search.

Most all of the parts for your bike should be easily obtained.

Look at the top of the page and you will see links to manuals that you will need to get to do most things to the bike.

Good luck and welcome!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:That screw in your pic is the idle screw. The air screw is lower and to the back more.

Your best bet is to start by cleaning the carb (pull the carb off and take it apart to clean it) and try the jetting guide that can be found on this site with an easy search.

Look at the top of the page and you will see links to manuals that you will need to get to do most things to the bike.

Good luck and welcome!
I concur my good man! :partyman:
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
JasonARGY

Post by JasonARGY »

>|<>QBB<
rbates9 wrote:That screw in your pic is the idle screw. The air screw is lower and to the back more.

Good luck and welcome!
Sorry i didnt clarify, the black stuff is like oil that drips off the exhaust pipe.

I did read the jetting guide but i was just trying to locate things. Also said not to really waste the time if im going to rebuild it soon and i do plan on doing that so i was just hoping to adjust it a little bit as a temporary fix.

Ill check out those manual pages though, Thanks!

I'll probably clean it tomorrow though, going to take the day and try to fix what I can. For now that gasket, new fuel line, new tube since rear tire is leaking in from the stem, thought i might as well replace the tube and then hopefully have time to do take apart the carb.

I am really pleased with the bike tho! Im really eager to get it to perfect running condition and hopefully not cost me too much
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

KDX's are great bikes. I have 3 of them. They are very inexpensive to maintain and very reliable. There are lots of mods you can do for very little expense to personalize it to your liking.

Since you are a Washington resident you can now even get it plated for street use like I did to one of mine.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

as far as putting the clamps on
the simplest way would be to shut off the fuel (put the lever in the horizontal position) and let the bike run untill the hose is empty
then you can pull the hose off and put the clamps on
once the clamps are on just put the fuel tap back in the on position (pointing downwards) and your good to go
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike