In need of an experienced eye.

Got questions? We got answers....
nab

In need of an experienced eye.

Post by nab »

Pulled the top end on my recently acquired kdx and found this mess....
:shock:

With the plating being gone does that put me towards sleeving or does it look ok enough to replate.

thanks,

-Ben
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Well I'll take a crack at it...

I would replate. If there are no major gouges then it is doable. Replating is the way to go IMO.

The little metal slugs are the kips remnants. As long as those bores are good(try sticking another subvalve in the hole to see if it fits ok) then all you need is the buggered parts.

The plating on the kawi's is softer than nicasil so once you replate and fix the kips you should be good to go!

Check the bottom end while you're at it
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Fletch got it. Even with gouges you can re-plate though. Costs a few more bucks to do a weld repair, but it doesn't look like you'd need that. And yeah, those metal slugs are the remains of your LH kips sub-valve. On a side note: It looks like you may have had a water leak through the head gasket?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

looks like you got it covered.
kingmoochr

Post by kingmoochr »

the water looks left over from pulling the head. the sealing ring marks still appear intact.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That big white spot on the back of the cylinder wall looks like water/steam damage to me. Saw something just like it on a KTM with a leaky head gasket.
nab

Post by nab »

Thanks guys Im going to order some new kips pretty much everything on mine looks shot. I will see how the new parts fit then make a decision. As for the bottom end Im going to check the crank and hopefully its within tolerance because I am going to try to pick up a second bottom end to rebuild so I can just switch it out and have a spare for parts.
nab

Post by nab »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:That big white spot on the back of the cylinder wall looks like water/steam damage to me. Saw something just like it on a KTM with a leaky head gasket.
It very well could be I was always smoking a little figured it was the rings but could have been leaky head too.
nab

Post by nab »

Also As for replating do you recommend a brand new piston plus rings or just rings. I come from the world of scooters/ mopeds so a whole top end job includes the jug for $150 :lol: . so I have never had to bother with is before.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You're going to want to put a new piston in there, for sure. For best results, send the new piston kit along with the cylinder when you send it for re-plating. They will match the plating to the piston for you.
dfeckel
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dfeckel »

If the new KIPS parts don't fit well, there just happens to be a new OEM E series cylinder for sale on eBay for $399.
David Eckel