Burning tranny oil! Maybe center case leak?

Got questions? We got answers....
Terrence Sprocket

Burning tranny oil! Maybe center case leak?

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

Well, I got my new cylinder on and put the bike back together. Fired up first kick (after a prime of course). Runs really strong with crisp throttle response. But I noticed some heavy smoking shooting out the muffler and it smelt kind of funny. Didn't smell like 2Stroke oil burning at all! Smells almost like 10w40 burning. Uh oh! Not good. I figured, maybe it's the type of 2s oil I'm using ( Bel-Ray semi synthetic). So I took it on a couple break in rips. About 1-2 hours of light driving time. Still smells funny and my engine oil level went down. Looks like I'll be taking the bike all apart again and splitting the cases this time. I have a set if crank seals that came with my complete gasket and seal kit. Should I replace the crank bearings while I'm at it? Also, is there no center case gasket? How would u recommend sealing them? Thanx.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

For sealing the cases you can use yamabond 4
1989 KDX 200
Terrence Sprocket

Ok. I used motoseal #1 b4, but wasn't sure what u guys recommend for the E series KDX's. I wish I would've known to do this b4 I put the new top end on.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Center case leak is pretty unusual unless it wasn't sealed up during a re-assembly. Since you didn't split the cases, I don't see how it could be leaking from between the cases. I'd suspect the RH crank seal first. Kind of a moot point since you have to split the cases to get at the crank bearings and seals anyway.
chadr
Supporting Member

Post by chadr »

>|<>QBB<
Terrence Sprocket wrote:Ok. I used motoseal #1 b4, but wasn't sure what u guys recommend for the E series KDX's. I wish I would've known to do this b4 I put the new top end on.
I'm sure Permatex Motoseal 1 would be fine as well, since it is designed just for this purpose. I just happened to get Yamabond 4 because I was ordering all my engine rebuild parts from one place and they carried Yamabond 4.
1989 KDX 200
Terrence Sprocket

The reason why I think it could be leaking through the center cases is that it just started leaking oil externally. It didn't leak b4 but now does, same as the burning oil problem. There doesn't seem to be any gas in the tranny but either way, I gatta split it.
KDX ALL THE WAY!