What is the best way to load and unload bike in truck?

Got questions? We got answers....
edog600
Supporting Member

What is the best way to load and unload bike in truck?

Post by edog600 »

Like I've said before, been doing sleds for years but new to the bike game. What is the best way to load and unload your bike by yourself? I have a big ramp we use for sleds but I think its too big to haul around plus I don't think I could push it up. Is there a better specific style ramp? Should I get a hitch carrier? I won't be riding alone but need to be able to load and unload it by myself. Thanks guys
ChubbyWookie

Post by ChubbyWookie »

Untill a few months ago i have always used a plain 2x6 and the run and jump method. Since somone stole my lovely 2x6 I now i have the ogio step up ramp. Love it. Much easier.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

A lot depends how big your truck is.
I've got a little truck now. I can set the ramp a bit to the drivers side and walk it right up.
When I had a bigger truck I used a milk crate for that last step.

Practise at home. After a long day of riding it can be a lot more difficult.

Some years ago I was loading my bike after an enduro. I underestimated how tired I was and ended up traped under it half way into the truck. Some girls walking by pulled it off me........ :grin:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

Some of my worst crashes have been loading my bike onto my pick -up truck. If you have a lifted pick-up, a good solid milk crate or bike center stand, is a good idea for the big step into the truck. The longer the ramp, the better. A second ramp the same as the main ramp also make it easier.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I just use a 10 foot long plank, and step up on a bike stand. The long plank makes it much easier to push the bike up after riding. I have seen guys glue outdoor carpet to planks for better grip when wet and/or muddy.

I used to use a 6 foot plank, but after a HS race on my 450, I just couldn't push it up myself. I am just glad I didn't get trapped under it like KarlP, and have to have some girls pick it off of me... :mrgreen:

Trailers are much easier to load. I use my trailer pretty often because I have more room, and I can pre-load it and keep it in the garage overnight.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
ChubbyWookie wrote:Untill a few months ago i have always used a plain 2x6 and the run and jump method. Since somone stole my lovely 2x6 I now i have the ogio step up ramp. Love it. Much easier.
That's an excellent idea.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I have a little S-10 so it makes loading and unloading a snap with just a 2x8!
'00 KDX 220R
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I use an aluminum folding ramp and a stand. Nothing special but it works for me.

Here is a way that was posted up over on TT.

[youtube][/youtube]
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

I like this one...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The easiest way is to find a hill/mound, and back the tailgate into it :wink:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I used a 8' 2x10 and would ride it on, then I would push it down the ramp from the front but that was going into a truck that had about a 4 1/2' high tail gate so pushing was not an option. :wink:

I have since gotten a bike hauler for my other truck. They work pretty good. The one I have looks to be the one from Habor Freight and most dirt bike magazines have a coupon for it so it is only about $110. The tie down points suck on them but can be easily upgraded. Also you will want to make sure your hitch is in good shape if you go that route.
Cha Ching

Post by Cha Ching »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:The easiest way is to find a hill/mound, and back the tailgate into it :wink:
+1

I am lucky to have a slight incline in my driveway. I just roll it down the hill and up the ramp, no problem. My truck has 20" wheels, so its a bit higher than i would like. My riding buddy took a bad fall last weekend, unloading his bike out of my truck. He stepped right thru the ramp, ramp slid off truck and everything was piled on top of him. The ramp still had his leg tangled in it, when i pulled the bike off him. BIG black bruises before the ride even started.. :rolleyes:
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

That ogio ramp looks pretty slick. So does the video of the guy loading it without a ramp. I'm thinkin ogio. Does it really work as good as they make it look? I have an 03 F150 4x4 so its a lil high. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.
turtle
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by turtle »

>|<>QBB<
Fletch wrote:I like this one...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Natural selection at work ... almost. :roll:
Bill
Central IL
2004 KDX220R
2011 Triumph Tiger 1050 SE
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
Here is a way that was posted up over on TT.

[youtube][/youtube][/quote]

In my case, very dangerous method to get fingers stuck and destroyed in a sprocket or disc...even in the chain guide. Happend to me twice. Want pictures? :shock:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
bart

Post by bart »

My brother and I use this ramp. I've never used a regular one but this one is pretty nice. You can load single handedly on his 4x4 Tacoma after a little practice. The step-up design is good but a bit overrated when you can just use the front brake. It takes some good power to get it past the step-up and into the truck.

>|<>QBB<
edog600 wrote:That ogio ramp looks pretty slick. So does the video of the guy loading it without a ramp. I'm thinkin ogio. Does it really work as good as they make it look? I have an 03 F150 4x4 so its a lil high. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.
KDXrider1989

Post by KDXrider1989 »

I have a a ramp made of two 2x8 boards nailed together and I just drive my bike up the ramp. Unloading is pretty easy too, just bake sure the board doesnt slide out. And I strap the bike down from the handlebars, making sure it clears everything
frankenschwinn
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by frankenschwinn »

Ride it...
Oregon Trail

Post by Oregon Trail »

I have a ramp I got from Harbor Freight, their longer one and set stool from Lowes, not a folding one, but solid with rubber feet.

http://images.lowes.com/product/convert ... 7393xl.jpg

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forum ... 1302905345
edog600
Supporting Member

Post by edog600 »

Maybe that would work, it would certainly be cheaper