Removing handguards - new lever pivot bolts?

Got questions? We got answers....
jetrep

Removing handguards - new lever pivot bolts?

Post by jetrep »

I'm working on replacing the stock handguards with bark busters. I noticed the mounting bolt doubles as the pivot bolts for the clutch and brake levers. I'd like to replace that goofy bolt with a regular shoulder bolt. I'd stop by my dealer to figure it out but they never have anything in stock. Can anyone tell me which bolts to buy? Will the pivot bolts off of a kx125/250 work?
jetrep

Post by jetrep »

I discussed this with Fredette this morning. He sells a shoulder bolt for the clutch side. He said he hasn't come across anything that works for the brake side and that he modifies the stock bolt.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I actually like the way the stock plastic handguards offer some mud and dust protection for the lever pivot point.
When I switched to barkbusters I cut the handguards down all the way to the lever, keeping just the part the bolts went through, pretty much.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

I went to Cycra Probends and got rid of the useless stock guards. Just kept the threaded stock pivots and they don't get in the way whatsoever.
'00 KDX 220R
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I cut them down both top and bottom to reduce the chance of getting ripped by one during a get-off - basically makes them similar to std shoulder bolt.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
HankXR250
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by HankXR250 »

I found black,low profile allen head bolts and brass sleeve bushings that fit the bolts (inside diameter) and the clutch/brake perches. The bolt/bushing fit is not perfect, but close enough. And, the bushings are too long and had to be cut (I used a little xacto saw).

Found it all at Ace Hdware for about maybe 6 dollars - works fine - just a little bit of jiggly lever slop.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I found an aftermarket ball bearing perch and lever kit on fleabay for about $30, if you want to go that route. I was planning to get one, but have not made it that far on the list yet. And if you are running handguards, you should not break the new lever.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250